Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplicate Name exists on the Network

Names changed to protect the innocent... LOL

OK... we have a CNAME record in our dust..pig.oink.net domain called NTWODS02 which points to DISWORCSAFP02 which is a file and print server. Yesterday, if I clicked "Start...Run" and typed \\NTWODS02\c$ I would get the C: drive almost instantly; now I get "you were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the network".

If I ping NTWODS02 I get:

Pinging disworcsafp02.dust.pig.oink.net with 32 bytes of data
    and 4 sets of replies from the correct IP address.

I removed a WINS record which showed an incorrect IP address from all our WINS servers. There is only one DNS record in any domain/zone for NTWODS02. No other machine has picked up its IP address from DHCP because the IP in use is not inside any scope. Using the FQDN has no effect - the problem is the same. Mapping a drive gives the same result. trying it with \\disworcsafp02\c$ works fine; the problem is definitely with the NTWODS02 name.

Does anyone have any idea what else to check?

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Re: Duplicate Name exists on the Network

You need to add a registry setting if accessing a share via a CName.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281308

John

Comment

Thank you Sire, just what I needed. I'll try that this week... (have to agree an outage with the business to do the reboot...)

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

I've run into this myself and the Microsoft article is exactly the solution to it.

Comment

What I don't get is why it STOPPED working... three days ago it was fine. Anyway; I have a Change Request scheduled for 7am next Tuesday...

Tom

Comment

Working...
          X