Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software Mirroring to HArdware Mirroring

Hello Guys.

I have a IBM server that the embedded controller supports up to RAID-1 configuration.
    I have 4 disks. Because i was i a rush i have set up the disks as non RAID configuration on the controller an then i used one as the boot and system disk (Basic not dynamic) and used the other three as RAID-5 through Windows (dynamic of course).
    Today i bought an upgrade card for my controller that allows it to support RAID-5.
    What i want to do is migrate my current state in a global RAID-5 configuration.
    What i mean is: Configure all 4 disks as RAID-5 in the controller and then create 2 disks.
    C: and D:, and move all data from my current disks.
    I was thinking of using Acronis True Image Server for the job...
    Do you think it might work?

Thanx....

Re: Software Mirroring to HArdware Mirroring

Yes and I think it is a good idea.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Can you afford buying the 5th disk?
      I would suggest moving to the following configuration:
      Disk0 + Disk1 - Mirror. Make it the system partition with the OS in it (the C:\ volume).
      Disk2 + Disk3 + Disk4 - RAID5. Make it the Data volume (D:\ volume).

This is the configuration I use on my servers. Whenever I have to do changes to any of them, I shut down the server, take one of the mirrored drives out, boot the server back and do whatever changes I need. This way, if the changes go bad, I can always boot the server from the old system and revert any changes.
      I once read an article that spoke against putting system volumes on RAID5, because it causes performance issues. Sorry I cannot give you the right reference at the moment, I'll try to look for it and post it.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Sorinso this is a very good option.
        The only disadvantage is that you lose the capacity of two disks.
        But that's not such a big issue.

My initial question was if the scenario with the Acronis would work...

Regards..

Comment

The imaging solution (doesn't matter what product are you using) should do the job. I am using a similar solution with an external 160GB IDE disk, an USB2IDE cable and a BartPE disk with Ghost8 inside to cold back up all my servers, Windows and Linux together... But I never used Acronis, so cannot tell you 100% sure.
          The issue is that if you already are setting the server up again, than why not do it in the manner that maintenance will be easier and hassle-free?
          Indeed, "loosing" disk is a disadvantage, but can you compare it to the advantages you get? Nowadays, disks are cheap.
          BTW, I amusing only disks that are hot-swap, don't know how (or if) it will work on non-hot-swap disks.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by tech25 View Post
            My initial question was if the scenario with the Acronis would work...
            Yes, it should work.

Anyway, you won't be deleting anything or wiping any disks, so you have a safeguard.

I would just add to Sorin's good suggestion, that you need to remember that the more HDDs you have in a RAID5 setup, the less (percentage-wise) are lost through being used as the check drive, so if you had 6 drives, you would only lose one-sixth of the drivespace. You probably know that already
            Best wishes,
            PaulH.
            MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Working...
            X