No RAID to RAID help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No RAID to RAID help

This is sort of a hardware/software question but hopefully someone might know an answer.

We are in the process of taking a new customer on board and have done a survey of they current setup.

Their use HP ML370 server for the AD, Exchange, Files. It needs more RAM but thats fine, the worrying thing we found was this:

The server has 3 SCSI disks
    1. 1 x 36Gb SCSI as Primary drive split into two partitions one for OS and the other for Exchange
    2. 1 x 36Gb SCSI as a data disk setup as a Dynamic Disk withing SBS2003
    3. 1 x 72Gb as data disk setup as a standard drive

This means the server has no HDD redundancy and this is not the best of things for a server.

Now we want to put either a mirror in or a RAID5 array the problem we have is the client cant have any real downtime. So we were looking at taking an image of the main 36Gb disk, adding a 3rd 36Gb drive and creating a mirror array and then restoring the image back over.

Now in theory we think this should work but are they any other solutions, ideas or workaroudns people may know of?

Regards

Dave

Re: No RAID to RAID help

Does the server offer hardware RAID?
    If so, you should be able to mirror "on the fly" but I'm not sure about RAID5

If it will be windows RAID, again you can mirror an existing volume

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

We have yet been able to get to reboot the server to check since its an estate agents.

But with it being a ML370 it should have hardware raid on it, i will check that

Cheers

Kimbie

Comment

Originally posted by DaveUK View Post

Cheers

Kimbie
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What model of ML370 we are talking about here? Without the exact model I won't be able to tell you if it comes by default with RAID or not, and which card goes with it.
          Last edited by sorinso; 2nd November 2007, 20:54.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

And I think your suggestion will involve quite a lot of downtime, so I can't see the advantage of imaging it, so to create a RAID1 on the fly is probably your best bet. If you let Sorin know the info he asked for, he may be able to shed some light on doing this in hardware (always the preferred option) but as a last resort, just install a new HDD and mirror it within Windows (which can be done whilst live) and hey presto your downtime is only the time taken to install the new HDD and reboot, so not long at all. Having said that, the "Do it in Windows" option may be the easiest and quickest but a hardware RAID would be preferred.
            Best wishes,
            PaulH.
            MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Software RAID (in Windows) is quite CPU intensive during synchronisation. My guess is there is no UPS so there will be lots of syncing each time the power flickers of goes off. Hardware RAID is the best option.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

The problem we face here is (like in (too ? ) many posts) the lack of enough info. We even don't know what OS is the server running. We hope is running some sort of Windows, because it runs AD and Exchange. For someone to implement such roles on Linux it's too much of a trouble, although I think it is possible.
                Given the disks configuration, looks like we are dealing with SCSI JBOD configuration. When the model of the server will be known, will be easier to get a larger picture.
                I think the great Merlin has easier tasks than this one.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

sorinso,

The model is the G4 of the ML-370, it is also running Window 2003 Std.

I was not aware the ML370 could JBOD, and from how i understand JBOD works it would not show the seperate drives in Computer Management as it does now.

Regards

Dave M

PS. Ossian sorry about putting the Kimbie thing in at the was talking to my work mate about online gaming and typed what i was talking about, but these things happen on ocacsion

Comment

OK, we're starting to build the puzzle.
                    Regarding the ML-370G4 server (quote from HP Product Bulletin):
                    Storage Controller:
                    * Integrated Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI Adapter
                    * Ultra320 High Performance Models ship with the Smart Array 6404/128 Controller
                    * SAS Array and SAS High Performance Models ship with the Smart Array P600/256 BBWC Controller
                    The way the hard disks are shown, is hard for me to see how anyone could have build any kind of mirrors or RAID of some kind. And you are right about the JBOD (I messed up in this one), it cannot be this one also.
                    I would look in the Device Manager to see what controller is installed on the server. If the result is not conclusive, you can use AIDA32 to dig further in the hardware. It's gr8 and it's free.
                    With all the data in hand, I would contact the local HP representative for advice. As I see things from here, there is no way to upgrade the server without few hours of downtime. But that doesn't mean there are no ways to keep the service running (you can use a temporary server, created from a full backup of the main server, for instance). Only the problematic server should be down, not the whole business.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

In my experience with Dell servers you cannot go from a non-RAID config to a RAID config without losing all of your data. I would be very careful about doing this "on the fly" without first talking to HP support and having a Full backup or image of the drive.

Comment

You're right. joeqwerty. And it doesn't matter if you are working on Dell or Hp servers, or anything else.
                        The process of going from plain disks to a RAID configuration will destroy the data on the disks, because on the process of building the RAID, all existing data on the disks is sent to the oblivion.
                        So, any attempt to do such a thing, one should have in hand the most-updated, error-free, double-checked backup of his data.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Well after all that and speaking to the client, we have decided to sell them a new DC and migrate their current server onto it, and rebuild the current server for use a branch office.

But thanks for all the help

Dave

Comment

Cool. I am glad you solved the problem, this is one of the best solutions, IMHO.
                            Thank you for updating the forum...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                            X