Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Server Product Serial

Hello all

I've installed a few weeks ago Server 2003 R2 with a used OEM serial number until i'll get my open license serial, and of curse not activated this copy.

Yesterday i've got my open volume license serial, but i can't change the serial on the installed system to the serial of my new volume license.

* Is that because i used to install with a OEM media and those serials are'nt the same like Volume License serias ?
    * is there a way to use the volume license serial on my OEM server installation without having to install the system again from scretch ? (there are programs installed on the server so i dont want to install it again).

TNX

Re: Changing Server Product Serial

VLKs and OEM keys are not interchangeable... i have separate keys for OEM, VLK, and retail editions.

can you change it without reinstall? possibly.

i would back up the wpa.dbl an then see if you can change it using the wpabaln.exe program. if not, then remove it and see if it accepts the other key...

if that fails, then reboot in safe mode and replace the wpa.dbl with the one you backed up. that *should* restore activation.

i know that m$ makes a tool on their site to adjust the key used on your installation. i dont know if it supports version mismatches, but maybe...

past that, you may have to reinstall.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

If it is a Member Server you may get away with installing the VLK copy over the top and selecting the second Repair option. That way all the apps that have been installed should still work. If it is a DC.........bad luck.

Haven't tried this on Win2K3, but what happens when you run WINNT32.EXE from inside a running O/S? Anyone know? Will try it later on a Virtual when I get time if nobody answers.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        Haven't tried this on Win2K3, but what happens when you run WINNT32.EXE from inside a running O/S? Anyone know? Will try it later on a Virtual when I get time if nobody answers.
        It runs the upgrade for the OS.

Only problem is if you have installed the latest updates and SP'2 then it won't work because windows detects that it is newer.

Comment

Working...
        X