New Server & New Clients But Users Can't Login

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Server & New Clients But Users Can't Login

Hi Everyone. I'm building my first server in over 5 years and have been reading lots of posts here. IMHO, this is the most useful site anywhere for Server help.

I've installed W2K3 R2 Standard Edition in a small office. We are replacing all of the old workgroup computers with new ones. I've configured Active Directory with all of the users/passwords. Here's the problem. I can connect my first new computer to the server and I can log onto the server with no problems using my login/password. However, if I try to login using any of the user IDs I've created all I get is the "The system cannot log you on now because the domain is not available" error message. All of the "regular users" are "Members of" the "Domain Users" group. Any suggestions?

Re: New Server & New Clients But Users Can't Login

Check your DNS is all OK!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian - Thanks for the suggestion. When I run ipconfig /all on the client it shows my dns server as the "Primary DNS Suffix" and Search List. So it seems like the client sees the server. (You can see the way I set the DNS up in the paste below -- was told to do this on the server to enable internet resolution of non-intranet domains.)

Interestingly, I've setup the DC as a DHCP server and when I look at the DHCP settings under Manage Your Server window it says DHCP is running. However, when I run ipconfig /all on the server I get the following:
      Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ZULU
      Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : jjfloors.org
      Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
      IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
      WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
      DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : jjfloors.org

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
      Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client)
      Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-B9-C1-33-29
      DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
      IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.225
      Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
      Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
      DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.225

Could this be the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Goodman
        You can see the way I set the DNS up in the paste below -- was told to do this on the server to enable internet resolution of non-intranet domains.)
        205.152.37.23 should really be added into the Forwarders tab in the DNS Server properties.

Check on the Workstation IP properties page and make sure there are no static entries. Check the Alternate Configuration page as well.

Are there any events in the Event Viewer relating to this error?
        When the logon fails, are you able to logon to the domain with the user account that works?
        The user account that works, it is a normal user or an Admin account?
        You are logging onto the Domain and not the local machine?
        Does the server have a Static or Dynamic IP?
        What are the lease times set to in DHCP?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Biggles77 --

1. I moved the internet DNS IPs to the forwarding tab as you suggested. Thanks.

2. The new workstation does, for the moment have a manual IP because I had to put the server onto the companies network to get to the internet for Windows updates and software downloads. Since the pre-existing router has DHCP enabled I went ahead and manually configured the IP address for the client.

3. There isnt' anything about this issue in the Even View. Each bootup there's a DHCP has started message followed by an error message which it says can be ignored. Specifically:
          "DNS server has updated its own host (A) records. In order to ensure that its DS-integrated peer DNS servers are able to replicate with this server, an attempt was made to update them with the new records through dynamic update. An error was encountered during this update, the record data is the error code.

If this DNS server does not have any DS-integrated peers, then this error
          should be ignored. "

4. When I attempt a login using any of the "user" profiles I have a long delay and then the domain not available error. I can then immediately login using my server admin level login and I get logged on instantly.

5. Correct. I am able to do a local login without any trouble. It's the server logins that aren't working.

6. The server does have static IP.

7. Lease times on the DHCP is 3 days. Since I'm still in build-out mode all the hardware is getting turned off each night.

Thanks for the help. Bob

Comment

Update -

When I started this thread I assumed I had/have something wrong with my user profiles in AD. But all the networking questions prompted me to do some pinging.

When I go to the My Network Places on the Server, view Entire Network, view Microsoft Networks, I see both the new domain and the old workgroup. I can see the client PC inside the new domain. However, when I ping the client from the server I get "Destination Host Unreachable." If I turn off the McAfee firewall on the server and repeat the ping from the server of the client I get "Request Timed Out."

Also, when I use the client PC and login with my admin profile I complete the login but if I try to ping the server from this client it works, zero packets lost. I can even use My Network Places to navigate to the drives on the server.

So the ping works from the client to the server but not from the server to the client.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Comment

Did you create your user account using Active directory user and compter and did you change any thing is your user profile. Try to make one more user, assign him password and keep default setting. Wait for few minutes. try to login using the newly created account.

Comment

Yes, all of the user profiles were created using the AD Users and Computers tool. All but one of them are just the default settings and all of the user accounts act the same. One I've modified the profile to designate the user files onto a different partition. When I get past my current problem I can tell I will have a disk issue. Dell pre-configured the drives with a relatively small C drive for the OS and a wonderfully large "data" drive but W2K3 is creating each profile I've logged into over in the OS partition. So, once I fix this networking/login problem I will have to set up the roving user profiles to operate from the "data" drive.

Comment

Update -

I seem to have solved all of the DNS and DHCP issues -- thanks for all of the help.

Now, I when I attempt to login with a domain user profile I get "Windows cannot locate your user profile files". As I mentioned in the prior post, I need to have the user files located in the D or "data" drive and not the C "sysvol". I attempted to accomplish this by adding "\\servername\d:\users\username to the profile path of the user. I have created the "users" folder on the d drive. Is there anything else I need to do before using the Windows Migration tool?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Goodman View Post
                    Update -

I seem to have solved all of the DNS and DHCP issues -- thanks for all of the help.

Now, I when I attempt to login with a domain user profile I get "Windows cannot locate your user profile files". As I mentioned in the prior post, I need to have the user files located in the D or "data" drive and not the C "sysvol". I attempted to accomplish this by adding "\\servername\d:\users\username to the profile path of the user. I have created the "users" folder on the d drive. Is there anything else I need to do before using the Windows Migration tool?
                    You will probably need to share the user folder (remember to change share permissions to allow writing) and access it as \\servername\users\username

You might be able to access it as \\servername\d$\users\username
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I created a new user and loaded the profile path with \\servername\users\Test User and then shared the \users folder on the d drive with full permissions. Then created a folder in \users called Test User. When I attempt to log in via a client PC I get "Windows cannot locate a copy of your Roaming Profile ..." after nearly 5 minutes of the PC saying "Loading your personal settings"

I've assumed I have to get this user profile built correctly and then access it succesfully before I use the USMT tool to move over all of the users data. Is that correct?

Comment

Working...
                      X