IIS Visit/Hits Counter !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IIS Visit/Hits Counter !

Does anybody knows how to count or which file to look for counting the Visitors Log in IIS 6.0. I don't want to use free counters that shows Page Hits on the actual web page. I need to know the actual log file's name to check it manually. How to read that file, do I need some script to simplify the reading of that file to count the Visitor's Counts easily?
    Thanks
    Last edited by samdazz; 25th October 2007, 15:06.

Re: IIS Visit/Hits Counter !

Originally posted by samdazz View Post
    Does anybody knows how to count or which file to look for counting the Visitors Log in IIS 6.0. I don't want to use free counters that shows Page Hits on the actual web page. I need to know the actual log file's name to check it manually. How to read that file, do I need some script to simplify the reading of that file to count the Visitor's Counts easily?
    Thanks
    The log is kinda cryptic if you don't read it frequently. I suggest using a tool to scrape the log and give you usable data back. There are some free tools you can use to give you graphs and reports.
    Don't forget to turn on more of the logging options in IIS. By default it doesn't collect everything you might need/want.

Here are two free tools I use together to get reports.

http://www.analog.cx/
    http://www.reportmagic.org/

Here's an example of the report output. (not much data it was recently installed)
    http://www.worldofxander.com/logs
    Last edited by ahinson; 26th October 2007, 04:08.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Another good free tool is WebLog Expert Lite available at

www.weblogexpert.com

Comment

Does any body knows how to read and what to read in the Log File to count the visit entries? I need to do it manually.
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by samdazz View Post
          Does any body knows how to read and what to read in the Log File to count the visit entries? I need to do it manually.
          Thanks
          That depends what you want to count. If you want to count how many unique visitors view your site, you need to count IP addresses and remove duplicates.

If you want to know how many people are accessing resources - ie. a certain page. Look for that page's filename in the log where the GET verb is used and count the IP addresses to get page views and remove duplicates for unique page views - limit them to a time frame such as per day.

Visitors / Day
          Unique Visitors / Day
          Page Views / Day
          Unique Page Views / Day

etc...
          Last edited by ahinson; 5th November 2007, 15:37.
          Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X