New domain strange internet problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New domain strange internet problems

I've searched the forums and can't seemed to find a solutions to my problem. i recently bought a server with server 03 64-bit and setup active directory, dns server, file server roles with about 10 clients. all the clients can join the domain and everything seems to work just fine but since switching over from a work group to a domain the internet works only somewhat. some internet sites will load but it won't connect to a majority of web sites like nvidia.com which i need for drivers. but the strange thing about this is sometimes the internet will work fine for a while and then go back to the same problem. i feel it might be a dns problem i have no reverse lookup. could this be causing the problem?

Re: New domain strange internet problems

your probably correct in the assumption that its DNS.

without more information, i cant tell you really how to fix it, but i can point you towards an article explaining how to set up DNS in an AD enviro... use it as a checklist to retrace your steps and see where stuff is hosed:

Setting Up DNS for Active Directory
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Thanks for the reply... i uninstalled my dns server and active directory roles and then configured my dns manually instead of using dcromo to do it. when i was installing active directory again my dns setting reported dns was properly configured i also set my isp's dns servers in forwarding and setup reverse look up. but after all that i still had the problem. i then bypassed the network and plugged my modem into a client pc and still had the problem!! could it be possible that it's my isp's fault??? im out of things to try....

Comment

Try pinging web sites by name and see if it gets translated to an IP address:
        H:\>ping www.cisco.com

Pinging www.cisco.com [198.133.219.25] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
        Request timed out.
        Request timed out.
        Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 198.133.219.25:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

It's not importnat you get a reply but that the IP address in the"Pinging" line is returned. If that works, then your DNS is working. If not, then try removing your forwarders in DNS so that your server will then query the root servers.
        Are your client PC's pointing at your server for DNS? (They should be!)
        HTH
        TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
        http://www.wintra.co.il/
        sigpic
        Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

yes all the clients are setup to point to the server for dns. i've also used nslookup and ping... i've used them when the internet works fine and also when it's not when the internet isn't working that well nslookup can't find some sites but can find others same with ping. When the internet goes back to working fine nslookup can find the sites it could not find before. by the way this is the first time ive used this type of isp it's a satalite broadband. because of are location this the only thing i can find out here...

Comment

Working...
          X