Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restricting printer permissions Windows 2003 R2

Hi,

I would like to be able to prevent users from printing in color to a printer. Currently the permissions on the server are:

Authenticated Users - Print is checked
    Creater/Owner - Manage Docs is checked
    Domain Admins - Print, Manage Docs and Manage Printers is checked
    Everyone - Print is checked
    Print Operators - Print, Manage Docs and Manage Printers is checked
    Server Operators - Print, Manage Docs and Manage Printers is check

All users are able to go in to the printer preferences and choose to print in color and also change anything else. I want to prevent this and thought that setting everyone group to only be able to print would do that.

The printer is not directly connected to the server. It is setup and shared using a standard tcp/ip port on the server. The tcp/ip port is using the raw protocol.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Re: Restricting printer permissions Windows 2003 R2

This is probably a bit more than you want but to do this i would create a group called BlackandWhite and another called colour.

Create the printer twice, one that can only print colour and one that can print black and white only.

Set the permissions on both printer to the respective groups can only print to the printer.

Put the required users into each group.

This should get you around that little problem.

Comment

If you're in the USA then name the group color instead of colour. LOL.

Comment

Thank you for your response and I understand what you are describing, however, the issue is that currently all users should only be able print to the printer now with the way the permisssions are set but that is not the case. Any user is able to go in and edit the printer preferences. Any idea why that is? I want it so only domain admins, print ans server operators can do that.

Comment

I don't think you can.

The way it generally gets setup is so that everyone can print and the creator Owner can manage there own print jobs. What that means to me is that anyone who creates a job can then determine how that job gets done. (Someone will correct me if i'm wrong)

The way i've described it allows you to determine who prints to where by setting the permissions on each printer whether it is black and white or colour.

Comment

What is the printer model?

Where I work, we have a multi-function copy machine that any user can print to in black and white, but if they want to print in color, they need to enter in a code within the printer driver each time they want to print a color document. Yeah, it's a bit of a pain lol. Every other color printer we have is locked down completely except for individual user security permissions.
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Its a Ricoh Aficio MP 3500. Multifunction printer/scanner/copy/fax. I think I've found the authentication/security mechanism similar to what you are describing. Does the user get prompted from there machine to enter the code? Did you need to install anything special or just setup the authentication piece on the printer.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X