X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ad prep fix question

the question is refering to the following
    http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_adprep.htm

I don't know if I need the fix or not, but will it hurt anything if I do run this fix?

I am currently in a 2000 domain, with one DC and several member servers and an exchange server.

Basically from what I read and researched

apply adprep fix.
    run adprep /forestprep
    run adprep /domainprep
    join 2003 server and run dcpromo
    demote 2000 dc
    join 2nd 2003 server and install exchange
    move mailboxes from old exchange to new exchange

I did look through the first 3 pages and didn't find anything other than the sticky at top which is closed.

Please let me know if something I have overlooked.

FYI...I just got done searching through the 5 pages and didn't find anything from what I could see.

I also have another question. Say I decide to make a new domain and exchange installed. When I migrate a user from the old domain to the new domain, does the user keep their old profile or do they start from scratch and I need to copy the profile settings?
    Last edited by locc; 18th October 2007, 23:10. Reason: need to add content

Re: ad prep fix question

Originally posted by locc View Post
    the question is refering to the following
    http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_adprep.htm

I don't know if I need the fix or not, but will it hurt anything if I do run this fix?

I am currently in a 2000 domain, with one DC and several member servers and an exchange server.

Basically from what I read and researched

apply adprep fix.
    run adprep /forestprep
    run adprep /domainprep
    join 2003 server and run dcpromo
    demote 2000 dc
    join 2nd 2003 server and install exchange
    move mailboxes from old exchange to new exchange

I did look through the first 3 pages and didn't find anything other than the sticky at top which is closed.

Please let me know if something I have overlooked.

FYI...I just got done searching through the 5 pages and didn't find anything from what I could see.

I also have another question. Say I decide to make a new domain and exchange installed. When I migrate a user from the old domain to the new domain, does the user keep their old profile or do they start from scratch and I need to copy the profile settings?
    Do you mean the ADPREP fix for Exchange 2000??

http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_ad...ix_for_e2k.htm

If you are not going to upgrade you Exchange Server BEFORE you upgrade the schema first then yes you will.

My recommendation is to upgrade the Exchange Server to 2003 prior to upgrading the Schema then you won't need to run the fix.

To answer your second question you will need to use something like ADMT to migrate your users across.

Comment

Yes, thank you for correcting my link.

Okay, I guess I still I don't understand the circumstances.

I have an existing 2000 domain with exchange server (installed on member server).

I plan on introducing and joning a 2003 standard server. From what I understand I need to adprep /forestprep and /domainprep.

What I don't understand is, do I need to run adprep fix for exchange if....am going to run exchange 2000 and 2007 side by side, I don't plan on doing inplace upgrade of 2000. Will it hurt anything if I just run the adprep fix if I didn't need it?

So from what I can understand is I don't need to run adprep fix for exchange if I am doing the following:

Run adprep /forestprep and /domainprep
      Join 2003 standard server, run dcpromo
      run dcpromo to demote 2000 dc server to member server
      joing another 2003 member server, install exchange
      then move mailboxes of each user from E2K to E2K7

I just re-read my post, sorry for not clarify the version of exchange I was planning to install, it's exchange server 2007 standard.

Thanks for repsonding so far, I appreciate it!

Comment

Yes you will need to run all of those options because you are installing the server 2003 machine as a DC.

Installing Exchange 2007 will update the schema again with extension specific to Exchange 2007 but you will still need the ADPREP fix as you will still be running Exchange 2000.

Comment

Okay, then no adprep fix then. What would happen if I do run adprep fix if I didn't need it?

Comment

Originally posted by locc View Post
            Okay, then no adprep fix then. What would happen if I do run adprep fix if I didn't need it?
            No you will need to run the ADPREP fix for your existing install of Exchange 2000.

Nothing will happen if you don't need it. But you do need it so apply it.

Comment

Okay, thanks.

Well knowing that it won't effect if I run it if I didn't need it is good to hear.

Comment

Working...
              X