Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup / Restore server to new hardware [was:Server 2003 Question]

Hello,

I have a small question I hope someone can help me with, I have a Windows 2003 server which is on its last legs, over the next week I will be replacing it with a new 64-bit server and installing Server 2003 64-bit version as we are moving to exchange 2007. I do not want to have both servers on at the same time as this will cause problems with some 3rd party apps as my server has to have the the imaginative name of SERVER for these to work

I was thinking if I use NTBackup to backup the system state and restore this on the new server it should work, has anyone tried this before? are there any pitfalls? do I need to do anything else?

Any help very much appreciated

Re: Backup / Restore server to new hardware [was:Server 2003 Question]

SAS,

I have edited your title to something more descriptive. PLease ensure you use suitable titles in the future. Labelling your post "Server 2003 Question" in a Windows 2003 forum is not a suitable title.

Thanks

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Backup / Restore server to new hardware [was:Server 2003 Question]

I would use VMware Converter and virtualize the physical machine.
      Then I would install VMware (either ESX or Server) on the new machine, and copy the new virtual machine.

Comment

Working...
      X