Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .Local DNS issues

Hello,
    I am kinda new to windows Server 2003. My issue is that I have a server thats not a FQDN running AD, DNS and DHCP. When I run nslookup on the server i get a non existant domain. This I feel stems from the dns name of the server myserver.local. When I have set up unix servers / mac servers we do not use a .local name at all. Is there a way to change this? Or a way to use .local and correct the DNS issue? I know just as on other servers if you do not have a FQDN and forward and reverse lookups do not work you have issues.
    Thanks

Re: .Local DNS issues

Have you setup a Reverse Lookup Zone in the Windows 2003 Server's DNS?
    Have you pointed the 2003 Server (and ALL machines on this network) to the local DNS?
    Have you setup the Forwarders tab in DNS to point to the appropriate outside DNS?

The .local name is not relavant to your problem if the above 3 items are correctly setup.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

On the Mac and Unix its good practice not to use .local as a FQDN. Should the same be done on windows server? If so is it an esy fix? BTW thanks for the suggestions it worked!

Comment

Don't quote me but it seems to be a suggested use in Windows. Don't like it personally but then I don't like peanuts or broad beans either.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I read somewhere (Might have been on here) that .local can sometimes interfere with with either ISA or some 3rd party firewall product (I cannot find the damm thread) .internal was suggested as a suitable alternative.

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I know .local may cause problems with Mac users as well. .internal sounds a much better alternative. Thanks Michael.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

.local is also used by the ZeroConf protocol. My recommendation is to use .internal as well.

Comment

Working...
              X