Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Win2k3 server setup, Finally some progress!! Can you examine my setup ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k3 server setup, Finally some progress!! Can you examine my setup ?

after countless hours of reading on the IT forums and help from you guys, I’ve finally fixed some issues on the network.

I would like to tell you how I did this and hopefully I didn’t break anything…lol

We have a network in this situation.

1 Dell 2950 Server (2 NICs), is a DC
    T1 (Cisco Router, ISP locked, assigned static IP)
    10+ workstations (must have access to DC, and internet)
    5+ network printers and misc devices
    1 Dell 3024 switch

The connection is setup like this

T1 Cisco Router -> Server NIC-1 (static IP) /

Server NIC-2(static private IP) -> Network Switch -> workstations, printers, etc.

I was able to setup the server so that it can be accessed by the public, and internal workstations can access the DC, as well as internet.

I've setup the DNS, DHCP and NAT on the server.

DHCP is setup to lease out private IP on internal network (192.168.1.x)

DNS service is setup with DNS server pointing to 192.168.1.1, router 192.168.1.1

NAT is setup with NIC 1 as internet interface

the NIC are setup like this

NIC 1 (Public) IP 216.32.155.2 , Gateway 216.32.155.1 (router), DNS 216.32.155.2

NIC 2 (private) IP 192.168.1.1 , Gateway (blank), DNS 192.168.1.1

using a different ISP from my laptop, I was able to go to the server IP, and it shows the default IIS page “this website is under construction” page. So this means the website is accessible by the public.

All my workstations can be assigned IP via the server DHCP, join the DC and have full access to Everest database(our accounting and management software)

I found a problem while using the client PCs, using NSLOOKUP, it says
    ***Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.1: non-existent domain
    ***Default servers are not available
    Default Server: Unknown
    Address: 192.168.1.1

Can you examine my setup and tell me if this is the right way to do it ? this is my first time setup a network so "complex" like this, this is probably a piece of cake fo you guys, but I'm a newbie and please correct me if i'm wrong....

Re: Win2k3 server setup, Finally some progress!! Can you examine my setup ?

A couple of things:

The nslookup message you're getting on the client means that your DNS server does not have a Reverse Lookup Zone configured. You'll want to create one for your internal subnet address.

Do you have a firewall? If not I would recommend getting one fast. Until then, disconnect the public NIC of the server from the router (this means you won't have internet access). If you can't get a firewall then set up ACL's on the router.

Once you get a firewall I would recommend that you put it between the router and the switch and do away with the multi-homing on the server. You are exposing your server to the world right now. You can set up NAT on the firewall to forward web and email traffic (and anything else you need) to the appropriate internal host.

Comment

um, why the new thread?
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Mike, this is now getting annoying.

This is the THIRD thread about your "setup". The second thread was JUST sufficiently different from the first to not qualify as a double post. This one is now just silly AND annoying. Why not just add to the existing thread since it is really all about the same thing.

Please continue your quest on this thread. http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=18864

This one is now closed.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X