Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copying profiles over manually

Hi,

I understand that a user can copy their profile over to a network share to make roaming. Can anyone think of a reason why I should not unc in to the computer the user initally logged on to and copy the contents over that way and then put the path of the folder in the AD tab?
    It seems to work fine in my Virtual setup and contains the nethood, application data, ntuser.dat, desktop etc folders.

Thanks

Re: Copying profiles over manually

What happens if the computer they originally logged onto is switched off!

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Michael,

Fortunately, this is not a problem; most of our machines are on all the time.

In your opinion, is this an *OK* way of doing it?

Thanks

Comment

TBH it should work and you have obviously proved this but it probably goes against some best practises somewhere and I would still use a file server to store roaming profiles because:

a. Uptime should be in theory better on the file share due to it running on a sever
        b. Centralized backup on the server ensures all profiles are backed up inc my Documents etc.
        c. Issues with PC being switched off / loss of power.

Is there any reason why you would rather use an XP pc rather than a proper file server?

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

Sorry, i should have made myself clearer;

I can unc in to the desktop the user originally logged on to from the DC. I can then copy the docs and settings folder over to the share on the network. I then add the path to the users AD tab. This way, the user does not have to do anything themselves.

The only thing remaining on the desktop machine is the original profile created.

Thanks

Comment

Ahhh I get you now.

Na dont think there will be any issues. You might want to check the folder permissions after the copy just in case

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Michael,

Thanks for your advice - appreciated!

Comment

The only problem I've seen is that if they are logged in you can't copy NTUSER.DAT which is their registry information. Even if they log off, for some reason Windows XP won't allow you to copy NTUSER.DAT. It's only on a cold boot that Windows will release it.

Comment

Originally posted by vogelabv View Post
                  The only problem I've seen is that if they are logged in you can't copy NTUSER.DAT which is their registry information. Even if they log off, for some reason Windows XP won't allow you to copy NTUSER.DAT. It's only on a cold boot that Windows will release it.
                  Hi,

Yeah, i noticed that when I was doing it in VM. As you say, even when logged off it is still being held. Once restarted the file is released.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X