No announcement yet.

Move domain controller accounts

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move domain controller accounts

I want to move my two domain controller machine accounts from the "default" OU named Domain Controllers in AD into an OU that has a group policy attached to it. The group policy for the new OU forces updates from my Windows System Update Server. I also want to move the machine account for my Exchange server into the new OU as well.

All three servers have Windows 2003 server with SP-2. The Exchange server is running Exchange 2003.

Any problems with doing this?

Thanks in advance,

Bob Seeds

Re: Move domain controller accounts

The Domain Controllers OU has pre-defined polices specific to Domain Controllers. It is possible to do this but you may be relaxing the security for your DC's.

I tend to leave my DC's in the Domain Controllers OU and add the to the GP if I need to change anything.

You probably best of leaving them where they are and creating a generic servers OU where you can apply a base line set of GPO's and then create an exchange OU and then apply sepcific Exchange GP's them, same goes for you F & P, SQL, etc etc

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Set the GP setting for WSUS in a GPO which you link to the Domain Controllers OU and to the "Servers" OU; this will ensure that both sets of servers receive the same policy. I would not (as Michael said) recommend moving DC's from their proper OU, as I believe that AD would get very confused.

For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Thank you both very much!