Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DHCP Setup Help !!! not responding to DHCP requests!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP Setup Help !!! not responding to DHCP requests!

We just got T1 service installed, and we have 1 Dell 2950 server, it's our web server, database server, application server and a domain controller.

My connection is setup like this

T1 -> Cisco 1721 router -> switch -> server, workstations, net printers..etc.

AD is installed, and dcpromo'd. DNS configured correctly.

now i want to run DHCP on this server, the DHCP on the cisco router is turned off. (we were using the DSL router as DHCP before)

We are assigned static IPs from our ISP, like below

usable IP range: 216.32.155.1 - 216.32.155.6
    Broadcast address: 216.32.155.7
    router IP 216.32.155.1
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.248
    DNS 1: 216.116.96.2
    DNS 2: 216.116.96.3

1st NIC is setup as static IP like above, I assigned 216.32.155.2 to the server, 2nd NIC is disabled for now.

so I setup the DNS on the server, and in the NIC properties, DNS is setup to the server IP, and in DNS forwarder i set it to forward all queries to our ISP DNS 216.116.96.2 /3

the server has access to internet and everything.

DHCP is setup like this
    Start IP: 192.168.0.14
    End Ip : 192.168.0.47
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Scope Option>Router> 216.32.155.1 (T1 router)
    Scope Option>DNS Server> 216.116.96.2 /3

while on the workstations, they are not getting any DHCP response at all.

Did i assign wrong IPs in that DHCP table?

I do not want to assign real IPs to workstations, I want to assign private block of IPs to the internal machines, like how it was before with the DSL router.

Can anyone point me to the right direction? Please help!!

Thanks in advance!

Re: DHCP Setup Help !!! not responding to DHCP requests!

Your DHCP server is on the wrong network.

My advice.

Use the 192 address on all your internal systems, the way it is setup just now leaves your server wide open i'm afraid.

Set your Internal interface of your firewall to 192.168.0.254.

Then set your server as 192.168.0.1.

Then set a DHCP scope of whatever your clients are plus 10%.

Then your clients should be able to connect.

Comment

Thanks for your reply!

I have to assign the server a real static IP because it will be a web server, the outside can't access it if it's assigned an internal IP, right??

or is there a way that I can create a DMZ zone on the router to forward all outside queries to the server?

Comment

Originally posted by mike2016 View Post
        Thanks for your reply!

I have to assign the server a real static IP because it will be a web server, the outside can't access it if it's assigned an internal IP, right??

or is there a way that I can create a DMZ zone on the router to forward all outside queries to the server?
        Or why not use port forwarding on your router to forward any requests to a specific IP address to the relevant port on your server.

I ain't a Cisco guy but i would be very surprised if you couldn't.

My recomendation though would be to install your web server on another machine and sit it in your DMZ

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          Or why not use port forwarding on your router to forward any requests to a specific IP address to the relevant port on your server.

I ain't a Cisco guy but i would be very surprised if you couldn't.

My recomendation though would be to install your web server on another machine and sit it in your DMZ

We can't use Port forwarding because we host a website, how we go about setting up the domain IP with our domain hosting company without a IP to our server? right now the domain is still pointed to the old hosting company (Yahoo), when we are ready with the new server, we will point to the server.

I guess we have to put the server in the DMZ.

so if we run DMZ on the cisco router, that means I should run DHCP on the router as well ?

i'm so fraustrated now i dont now if i should do DHCP on the server or the router, the software comapny is not answering me, we can't start the employee training without the software working! damn it...

Comment

What operating system do you have on your "server"?
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You can use port forwarding. You need to set up a port forward from the external ip address of the router to the internal ip address of the server for port 80, assuming that you have only one static public ip address this means that the public ip address for the WAN interface of the router will be the ip address that you need to register with your external DNS records. So, your www.domain.com DNS record will point to the public ip address of the router and the router will forward all web (port 80) traffic to the internal ip address of the server.

You don't need to create a DMZ for the server and shouldn't if the server is also going to be your application server.

I would not recommend using this web server as your DHCP server. Either use statically assigned addresses internally or install Windows Server on a cheap pc and install DHCP on it or configure the router to be a DHCP server.

The DHCP issue and the web server issue are two completely different issues and shouldn't be confused or lumped together. Both are very simple to configure if you keep a level head and tackle one issue at a time.

Comment

It's running on Win2k3 R2 standard edition.

this is a DELL 2950 server with 2 x gigabit NICs, but i'm currently using only one of them.

How are you supposed to use both of them? should both of them connect to the Gigabit port on the switch?

I guess i need to resolve the DHCP issues first, it's just not giving out any leases at all, no responses whatsoever.

what could've been gone wrong? the DHCP configuration seems very straight forward and I've done all the settings correctly i believe.

will other part of the OS affect the DHCP? the DNS? DC? (oh and the DHCP is authorized and activated)

Comment

Working...
                X