2000 to 2003 Domain Migration, Exchange related question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 to 2003 Domain Migration, Exchange related question

I am planning to do a 2000 to 2003 Domain Migration and need some advice.

Here's our setup...

Windows 2000 DC at my location with Exchange 2003 installed, also DNS
    Windows 2000 DC at remote location (across MPLS network), DNS, DHCP

Multiple 2003 Servers already set up as member servers, running various applications.

I am also planning to Migrate the Exchange 2003 to it's own dedicated server, which will be running Windows 2003. This is sort of a priority.

My questions...

1. Can I do the Exchange migration to the new server before I begin the Domain migration? Or is it more beneficial for me to migrate the Domain first?
    2. We have a Win2K3 server running BackupExec 11d. Is there any problem with making this our main DC? This is more cost effective, but I can procure more equipment if needed.
    3. Can I leave the 2 Win2K DC's as-is in the 2003 Domain environment, once the upgrade is complete? Eventually all Win2k DC's will be upgraded...most likely to new equipment.

Re: 2000 to 2003 Domain Migration, Exchange related question

Originally posted by gosavi View Post
    I am planning to do a 2000 to 2003 Domain Migration and need some advice.

1. Can I do the Exchange migration to the new server before I begin the Domain migration? Or is it more beneficial for me to migrate the Domain first?
    2. We have a Win2K3 server running BackupExec 11d. Is there any problem with making this our main DC? This is more cost effective, but I can procure more equipment if needed.
    3. Can I leave the 2 Win2K DC's as-is in the 2003 Domain environment, once the upgrade is complete? Eventually all Win2k DC's will be upgraded...most likely to new equipment.
    Good questions.

Answer to your 1st question is > Finish Exchange migration first. Your Active directory schema will get upgraded. After Exchange migration wait for a week. Let the replication happen.

We are having strange problem. We upgraded domain to 2003. Afterwards we are not able to add any new Windows 2003 machine as a domain controller. We still have 1 Windows 2000 server holding "Infrastructure master" role on it.

About your second question no idea. We dont run that software.

3 question answer > New equipment is always a better option. Frankly speaking if AD schema isn't clean ( If there are some internal problems with group policy and etc ) it gives lotsa problem if you upgrade on existing Windows 2000 server.

We done Exchange upgrade first. Don't be in hurry to upgrade domain. Make sure all "distribution groups" and etc is working fine in Exchange & on client side make sure every1 running Outlook 2003 without using "cached mode". I personally recomand dont use "exchange cached mode" .

All the best,
    Regards,
    Amey.
    All in 1
    Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Comment

Working...
    X