Group type question....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group type question....

I wanted to make an email group for All Sales. I made a Distribution group called All Sales. I later found out that I could assign network folder permissions if I put them in a Security group instead. So I changed the group from a distribution to a Security group - is there any problem with this?

Re: Group type question....

There's no technical or security reason that I know of that would be a problem.

FYI: If you create a Distibution Group and then use that group to apply permissions to an object, Windows will automatically convert the group to a Security Group. Since the Security Group is mail-enabled you can use it as a Distribution Group as well and it will be listed in the GAL.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      FYI: If you create a Distibution Group and then use that group to apply permissions to an object
      Hmm... how do you apply permissions to a Distribution group?
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I am with Jeremy - if you click "Add" on a "Permissions" tab and type the name of a distribution group, Windows simply fails to find it. Also, as far as I'm aware Exchange is not aware of Security Groups for distribution purposes and cannot therefore distribute emails to Security Groups.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Actually Exchange isn't aware of either until you mail enable them... which you can do to both security and distribution groups.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I should have been more clear and specific. Following is a link describing the automatic conversion of DG's to SG's. This only occurs when using DG's to assign permissions to an Exchange object.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/843587

Also a mail enabled security group will certainly receive emails (sent to the members of the SG). We use this in my office for a few SG's.

So at the end of the day, he could use a mail enabled SG to assign permissions and send email to the SG as well.

Comment

Thanks for the link Joe.

It only mentions Universal groups. Do you know if it applies to Global or DL groups?
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Honestly I don't know. I should have been more careful before I posted. We ran into this once in our office and when I saw this post I rushed to throw in my 2 cents before digesting the problem and thinking about it before I posted.

Comment

Did a little more research... it appears this is only applicable to UDG's. They will be converted to USG's if they are used to assign permissions on an Exchange object. Note that any nested UDG's will not be converted to USG's.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I just created a SG and enabled email on the group - so I don't have to create a UG and SG.

I added 2 SG's yesterday on the Exchange 2003 box. How long until I see the changes on the client PC's running Outlook 2003/2007? It's been about 18hrs since I made the change. If I take my Outlook out of "cache" mode - then I see the changes.....but everyone is in cache mode now.

Comment

Working...
                    X