Domain Rename "Log in to" Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Rename "Log in to" Problem

The company I work for has a Windows Server 2003 environment migrated from the days of NT and thus has a single domain name. This causes problems as would be expected and I'm working on testing a Domain Rename to see if it I can just rename the domain to meet DNS requirements.

I've created an identical network on VMWare Server and successfully completed a domain rename except for one problem. When logging in to any computer or server the default domain that appears is the old domain. Upon testing, logging in as [email protected] works as well as [email protected]l.

Any suggestions would be very helpful. That seems to be the only problem. I need to find a way to fix the "log in to" option so that it shows the new domain name. Hopefully it isn't a symptom of a much larger failure.
    Last edited by vogelabv; 4th October 2007, 16:38.

Re: Domain Rename "Log in to" Problem

Some additional information for illustration purposes:

c:\>nslookup
    Default Server: mainserver.danger.local
    Address: 192.168.100.1

> olddomain
    Server: mainserver.danger.local
    *** mainserver.danger.local can't find olddomain: Non-existent domain

> danger.local
    Server: mainserver.danger.local
    Name: danger.local
    Addresses: 192.168.100.1, 192.168.100.4

And also,
    c:\>netdom verify memberserver /domainlddomain
    The secure channel from MEMBERSERVER to the domain OLDDOMAIN has been verified. The connection is with the machine \\MAINSERVER.DANGER.LOCAL.
    The command completed successfully.

c:\>netdom verify memberserver /domain:danger.local
    The secure channel from MEMBERSERVER to the domain DANGER.LOCAL has been verified. The connection is with the machine \\MAINSERVER.DANGER.LOCAL.
    The command completed successfully.

Comment

Have you read the following (or similar) article ? http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_domain_rename.htm There are some useful links to tools and other documents at the bottom of the linked page.

Some other links to look through. http://www.petri.com/g_search.htm?do...RID%3A11&hl=en

Beware of using .local as your domain name if you have or may have Macs on your network in the future. I believe they don't like the .local part of the name.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks Biggles,

I have actually been through those links and have not found anything helpful. I've scoured as much as I could find and nothing on technet, here, or elsewhere has seemed to deal with my problem.

I think I may have to do some more testing and trying slight variations of the domain name rename method sanctioned by Microsoft until one works. That, or possibly try to put together a solution to rebuild the entire network although I am really hoping to avoid that. Domain Rename is supposed to work!

Comment

Domain Rename does work and I used the Microsft instructions to do it. Maybe you are missing a step somewhere in the process. List the exact steps you are taking and someone may be able to spot something. (I only did it once and it was a couple of years ago now).
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Certainly, I'll try to break it down as well to be as easy to read as possible.

I made virtual machines out of a workstation, a member server, our exchange server, our sql server, and two domain controllers at our network. Before starting this last time I demoted one of the domain controllers so there was only one standing.

1) rendom /list, create the forest description; copy domainlist.xml to domainlist-save.xml.
            2) Modify domainlist.xml and changed the domain name in all three locations.
            3) Generated the domain rename instructions with rendom /upload.
            4) Not necessary now, but I ran repadmin /syncall /d /e /P /q on my server to synchronize it with, well, itself (since I got rid of my second DC).
            5) I verified the readiness with rendom /prepare
            6) I executed the instructions with rendom /execute and after the DC's finished rebooting I restarted all member servers twice except for my control station.
            7) I ran xdr-fixup and identified 25 things to fix.
            Logged out of the control station and logged back in.
            9) Ran ldifde with the changescript to implement the 25 fixes for the exchange box.
            10) Restarted our exchange server twice.
            11) Restarted our control station twice.
            12) Ran rendom /end to unfreeze the forest configuration.
            13) Ran gpfixup to fix group policy objects, it was successful.
            14) I changed the dns suffix's on the member servers and DC's to the new domain name.
            15) I created a new DNS zone since the old DNS zone was still named for the prior DNS name.
            16) I let it sit a bit, and then ran rendom /clean to finish things up.

This left me in the current position where when logging in it still has the old domain name listed, however I can log in under both domain names when typing it in. If going to properties on my computer, the new domain name is listed. DNS also reports no errors and looks perfect.

Comment

Perhaps a question to start is, did Domain Rename for other people rename their DNS zone or did they have to recreate it? From the documents I've read from Microsoft it seemed to indicate that the Zone would be renamed along with the AD objects.

Comment

bump. Has anyone here done Domain Rename and remember any complications they had to resolve afterwards? Did everyone have to create a new DNS zone to correspond to the new domain name?

Comment

This run I renamed the NETBIOS to correspond to the new domain name. When the first server rebooted immediately the NETBIOS name was listed as the domain to log in to.

Could someone explain to me why this is? From what I understand of networking, the netbios name should be independent from your domain's name.

Comment

Are you running the Domain Rename on virtual machines?

When I did my solo rename I had no problems. DNS was all handled by the renaming process. Once it was done on the DC I moved to the member server and then logged the clients onto the DC. All clients were running DHCP.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes it is through Virtual Machines

Comment

Working...
                      X