Admin to gain access to user profiles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admin to gain access to user profiles

Management has asked me to go thru the users' profiles and remove anything like games, roms, avi's, mp3s, etc.

Most of the profile folders are not accessible to me as the administrator. Is there a way I can do this?
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Admin to gain access to user profiles

Where are the profiles stored??

Comment

Probably a permissions and ownership problem.
      I guess you should set your user as the owner of the files/dirs and add yourself the permissions to write/read/watever. Then, set again the ownership to the original user.

Comment

The only way for the admin to access the (Roaming) Profile folders, which incidently are stored on the file server in a hidden share, is to make the admin the owner, then assign security to Domain Admins and the user, then change the owner back to the user.

In doing this, I find that for that amount of time to perform the above, during working hours, would refuse access to the user. The more files in the user's profile, the longer the process takes.

I was hoping there was a way to set Domain Admin FULL access at the root of the Profile folder but each user's folder is not set to inherit permissions. I would have liked a VBS script to do it on all the (1000) profile folders and maybe I could run it overnight?
        |
        +-- JDMils
        |
        |

Comment

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825751

Comment

I was hoping there was a way to set Domain Admin FULL access at the root of the Profile folder but each user's folder is not set to inherit permissions. I would have liked a VBS script to do it on all the (1000) profile folders and maybe I could run it overnight?
            "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here."

Say no more.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
              Management has asked me to go thru the users' profiles and remove anything like games, roms, avi's, mp3s, etc.
              Be careful with this, some files like avis and mp3s are legitimate and may actually be used in peoples work.
              I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
              Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                "Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here."

Say no more.
                Tom, I thought that would overwrite existing permissions on the users' Profile folders!? Those folders are not set to inherit permissions from the parent. Anyhow, I don't have access to set permissions to those folders UNLESS I take ownership of them which is not what I wanted to do. Eg:

When I click on a user's Profile folder, I get "<Path> is not accessible. Access Denied". If I check the folder's security settings, I get the dialog "You do not have permission to view or edit the current permission settings for <user>, but you can take ownership or change the auditing settings.". Then a blank Security dialog shows with the Add & Remove buttons disabled.
                |
                +-- JDMils
                |
                |

Comment

Originally posted by Maebe View Post
                  Be careful with this, some files like avis and mp3s are legitimate and may actually be used in peoples work.
                  While true, if you fully warn them about this possibility, and have WRITTEN authorization from management that they authorize this deletion process and are aware of your warning, you'll be fine.
                  ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by JDMils View Post
                    Tom, I thought that would overwrite existing permissions on the users' Profile folders!? Those folders are not set to inherit permissions from the parent. Anyhow, I don't have access to set permissions to those folders UNLESS I take ownership of them which is not what I wanted to do. Eg:

When I click on a user's Profile folder, I get "<Path> is not accessible. Access Denied". If I check the folder's security settings, I get the dialog "You do not have permission to view or edit the current permission settings for <user>, but you can take ownership or change the auditing settings.". Then a blank Security dialog shows with the Add & Remove buttons disabled.
                    Code:
                    Folder Name..........Group...........Access Rights
                    Folder 1.............Admins..........Full Control
                    .....................Users ..........List Folder Contents

Folder 1\Folder 2....Admins..........Full Control (Inherited from above)
                    .....................Users...........List Folder Contents (Inherited from above)
                    .....................User1...........Full Control (NOT inherited)
                    When you propagate access rights, it DOES overwrite; which is why you give minimum access at the top and increase access as you go down, where possible.

Tom
                    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
                    X