Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web Interface to Directory Tree

Hi guys..here is the issue:

Only one mapped drive and there are many many folders within............the "use only one mapped drive" is being forced upon me from upstairs..

the problem is that its about 700 GB worth of data across multiple directories and I just know the users are going to complain about having to do 20 clicks to get to a file....

now apart from instructing them all to look at using shortcuts, i was thinking of some web interface.

do you guys know of any web interface which could reflect the directory structure (tree) and enable users to click on a branch (directory) and then that click open up the directory??

suggestions appreciated.
    Last edited by dublin_101; 1st October 2007, 13:20.

Re: Wen Interface to Directory Tree

Whats wrong with using the 'Folder' view within Explorer?

Or am I misunderstanding your question?

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Web Interface to Directory Tree

To expand on what Michael said:

Windows Explorer: View...Folder List.

It opens up exactly what you require on the left hand side of Windows Explorer.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

yer you are kinda misunderstanding...with folder view you can only see the root drive, if you open the root drive, you will only see the first level of directories.......

in my case, there will be one root drive only...........about 10 directories within, and each of those 10 directories will have about 10 each, which will have 10 each.................meaning, there will be many clicks to get to the target.

if i could do a nice tree, with as many branches as possible in a web interface with hyperlinks to reflect the structure, then staff could look at it and click on the closest target folder...get me?

eg...open up comman prompt and type in tree..enter

you know what you get, something like that for the mapped drive in a web interface (more attractive way) so they can see the whole (or near abouts) directory structure.....and all they do is click on the hyperlink which then opens up explore to the folder clicked.

Comment

Maebe I'm a completely not getting it but why not use shortcuts?
          Give users shortcut on their desktop to where they need to go. Or place the shortcuts in other folders.

Oh! Do the users have rights to see everything? If not you may want to consider looking into Access Enumeration.
          Last edited by Maebe; 1st October 2007, 13:44. Reason: Thought of something
          I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
          Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

shortcuts just aren't gonna cut it...the boss wants one interface as so many different users use different folders....etc, etc.

so we thought an interface would be a good option...

Comment

How about hidden shares and publishing them in Active Directory?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

guys, thanks for your advice and that, but as i mentioned, i've been told what they want and i have to do it.

so i'd appreciate if any of you could help me with making a web page with hyperlinks...the web page needs have links to the structure of the mapped drive.....similar to when you enter the command "tree" from the command prompt, you can see all directories within.

thanks.

Comment

here is what you need, in notepad copy and paste this
                  go file > save > change file type to "all file types" and save the file as xxx.html

Code:
                  <html>
                  <body>
                  <!-- change the line below as needed the path is either a unc path or drive:\path -->
                  <p><a href="PATH">text to display</a></p>
                  </body>
                  </html>
                  Technology is only as good as those who use it

My tech blog - wiredtek.wordpress.com

Comment

great stuff wired technologies.................that is pretty much what i need..

although, of course i am trying to find something that will automatically update the links as it parses thru the directory structure. thanks.

any ideas?

Comment

Would DFS work for you?

Originally posted by dublin_101 View Post
                      Hi guys..here is the issue:

Only one mapped drive and there are many many folders within............the "use only one mapped drive" is being forced upon me from upstairs..

the problem is that its about 700 GB worth of data across multiple directories and I just know the users are going to complain about having to do 20 clicks to get to a file....

now apart from instructing them all to look at using shortcuts, i was thinking of some web interface.

do you guys know of any web interface which could reflect the directory structure (tree) and enable users to click on a branch (directory) and then that click open up the directory??

suggestions appreciated.

Comment

unfortunately that would require a great deal of asp (if even possible currently)

right now i would say you have these options:

1. what i posted above
                        2. shortcuts on desktop
                        3. rearrange folder hierarchy so that you will not have to dig
                        4. use seperate mapped drives (even though they say only one)
                        5. let them complain about having to click through folders
                        Technology is only as good as those who use it

My tech blog - wiredtek.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by wiredteknologies View Post
                          unfortunately that would require a great deal of asp (if even possible currently)

right now i would say you have these options:

1. what i posted above
                          2. shortcuts on desktop
                          3. rearrange folder hierarchy so that you will not have to dig
                          4. use seperate mapped drives (even though they say only one)
                          5. let them complain about having to click through folders
                          maybe i'll just map the drive, and then do a tree from cmd........copy and paste that into frontpage, and link the folders myself.....

would have been good if it could have been automated.

DFS..??....i'm just after a web interface, and I don't think DFS has provides that.

Comment

Working...
                          X