No announcement yet.

accessing a local machine file share using the FQDN, authentication problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• accessing a local machine file share using the FQDN, authentication problems

I am having an issue on a Windows 2003 server that I am having a problem searching for an answer for.

Here is the issue:

On the local machine I CAN do the following:

connect to a file share using \\hostname
    connect to a file share using \\ip_address
    connect to a file share using \\127.0.0.1

What I cannot do is connect with \\hostname.domain.tld

If I ping hostname.domain.tld I get the same IP address as pinging just the hostname. I am logged in as an administrator and this machine is on an Active Directory domain.

The error I am running into is that when I try to go to \\hostname.domain.tld, I get a username and login prompt, no domain account or local machine account authenticates successfully at this prompt.

I have no problems connecting to \\hostname.domain.tld if I connect from a REMOTE machine. I suspect some sort of local security policy, perhaps as part of group policy, but I know know which one it could be.

PLEASE HELP.

Thanks
    -Brent

Re: accessing a local machine file share using the FQDN, authentication problems

what is the status of the guest account on the computer in question?

i have no problems doing all the above from any workstation on my network... i am a schema/domain admin though.

do a gpedit.msc and take a look at the local network security settings... see if anything is 'enabled' or 'not configured'
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Re: accessing a local machine file share using the FQDN, authentication problems

The guest account is disabled, the machine is on a college campus network and we have tried to lock it down a little.

-b

Comment

How many server do you have on the LAN? If you have multiple servers check replication using Replmon.

If just the one, then I would point my finger to the DNS server. Try removing all DNS entries for your problematic server. What do you get when you NSLookup the server's FQDN?
        |
        +-- JDMils
        |
        +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
        |

Comment

Working...
        X