Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Windows Clustering Setup

Hi ...

I am trying to setup a 2 node cluster on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Ed, with the intention of running Exchange 2003 on it.

As per the Microsoft advice I am setting up the cluster before I install Exchange.

Bear in mind I already have a functioning Exchange Server that I wish to move to this cluster once established.

The issue that I am having is this:

I am just not sure that the cluster is being setup correctly to facilitate the functionality that I am hoping to achieve.

I will explain what it is that I am hoping for and hopefully you can tell me if I am on the right track or not.

On each of the two servers I have 8 SCSI drives. On each server I have set up two separate arrays in the HP Array Config Utility. So I have a C:\ drive exclusively for the OS and applications, then I have D:\ for my Exchange data store.

Each server has it's own internal storage so, from what I understand, there is no cluster-orientated shared storage. That's assuming I've understood this terminology correctly.

I have chosen Majority Node Set quorum because, again from what I've read, it seems that is the most suitable with the storage scenario I have.

My major concern is that I dont want to go ahead with the Exchange installation and migrate my data only to find out that, due to lack of clear understanding, I have gone about this all wrong.

I have trudged through pages and pages of Microsoft technet notes, they have been very helpful. However I still feel there are some areas here that I need more clarification on.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Nick

Re: Need help with Windows Clustering Setup

Originally posted by nsharpley View Post

I have trudged through pages and pages of Microsoft technet notes, they have been very helpful. However I still feel there are some areas here that I need more clarification on.
    like what? if you have gone thru the KBs, then you should have a fair idea of what you do and dont understand...

you have W2003 ent and Exchange ent...
    you have two NICs in both... with one setup as the heartbeat connection to the cluster...
    you have or dont have shared storage for the 2 servers? im unclear of that from the above post.
    you have created a single IP resource to address the cluster?

you should be able to play with the cluster prior to the exchange setup and verify that the cluster is responding to the IP resource and that it is acting as wanted...
    what was the intentions of the cluster, HA or failover?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../aa997253.aspx
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Hi James,

Thanks for the response.

you have W2003 ent and Exchange ent...

Yes

you have two NICs in both... with one setup as the heartbeat connection to the cluster...

I do have 2 NICs on each server but I didnt realise this was essential. What does the 2nd NIC connect to?

you have or dont have shared storage for the 2 servers? im unclear of that from the above post.

Only internal storage on each server. No external, shared storage. This is one of the key areas I am not clear on. When I setup the cluster I see messages that state that "Drive D cannot be managed because it is on the same storage bus as the operating system". Drive D is where I wanted my Exchange Information Store. So I am concerned that my hardware configuration may not actually work.

you have created a single IP resource to address the cluster?

Yes.

The intention of the cluster is primarily failover.

Appreciate the assistence.

Nick

Comment

Anyone got any more to offer to this?

My cluster is online but I do not want to proceed with Exchange installation if my storage is not setup correctly.

Cheers

Nick

Comment

Working...
        X