Rights to only restart / shutdown server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rights to only restart / shutdown server

I have a Win 2K3 server functioning as a domain controller. I would like to give a user or group rights to login to the server and restart or shutdown the server but that's it. Is this possible and if so how would it be done?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Hindsight is 20/20 foresight is what matters

Re: Rights to only restart / shutdown server

grant them logon permissions and add them to the remote desktop user list... simple as that.

OR

if all you want them to do is be able to reboot the server, then configure the power settings to reboot when the power button is pressed. then all the person has to do it push the power button. this doesnt give the ability to logon, but they can reboot the server.

otherwise you may have to create a policy strictly for them, which isnt all that difficult, but i dont like having a restrictive policy on domain servers for reasons like that. i try to use the pre-defined roles that are provided... like SQL admin or backup operators.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Re: Rights to only restart / shutdown server

The best way is as James says, configure the servers power properties to restart when the power button is pressed.

or does it need to be rebooted at a specific time?? If yes then create a sceduled task for it.

Comment

Working...
      X