No announcement yet.

New win2003Server Domain with XPpro

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New win2003Server Domain with XPpro

Hello to all!

First, I don't know where to put this post, I search the forum and don't find anything close to what I want to ask you folks, so I decide to put it here.

Second, "My" small company win2k server HD smoked and the DC, FS just abruptly end (I had backups, don't lost any critic data) loosing all the AD data.

We decide to buy a new server(HP 350G5 with win server 2003) and workstations (no name core duo, winxp pro).

I install the Win2003 server R2 with Hardware raid5, install file server, DNS server, AD (what a pain, users and groups), did the shares (with group access to the shared files) (didn't install dhcp, I use ip fixed for all the workstations, it worked...)

Then install the winXp pro Sp2 in the workstations an join them to the domain using administrator account with success.

Then I install the proprietary software we use using the install files I previously deployed in a shared directory in the server, establish the share of the programs directory in the workstation in order to allow each user of the domain to Read write and Execute the files in the program directory (this full control is mandatory in order to the program work).

Now the problem:

For each user of the domain that logs to the workstation, the program install locally the files obtained from the server install directory, do the actualisation of the main program , then finally the user have to "show" the program where the database is located in the server (this program work over MS Access).

Could I use a different install in a way that each user of the domain can start the program without the need to do what I describe above?

How can I increase the transparency for the end user?

I try to map a drive, but this only work for a single user, the next have to map the drive or "show" the path to the database file.

Thanks in advance for any valuable help.

Re: New win2003Server Domain with XPpro

Hi Jalveta,

Can I ask this "show", is that just mapping a drive? If you map a drive you get the required results? How did you map a drive for the single user?
    I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
    Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Re: New win2003Server Domain with XPpro

Problem solved

Program folder properties --> share and security tab --> security --> add domain users --> check modify and write and voila,

Problem solved!

The program install it self for each user without any action from the user

(remember that I install the program using administrator account)

As I said, mapping the drive didn't solve the problem.