Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nslookup no existing domain

Hi Everyone

I notice aproblem today after trying to join a computer onto our domain without any luck.

After some investigation I noticed that my server has lost its forward dns record.

If I do a nslookup I get a Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.5: mnon-existent domain Default server : unkown address: 192.168.0.5

No changes have been made to any dns records.

Can anyone help?

Re: nslookup no existing domain

Do you have a Reverse Lookup Zone for your subnet? Does it have the correct PTR records? It sounds like this is your problem.

Comment

Hi,
      Is it just this one client having trouble? Can you post the error the client gets?
      It may just be as Joe says, no reverse lookup entries for that ip. If you try look up the owner of that IP by their name what happens?
      I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
      Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

I have resolved the nslookup problem and dns is working, however when I try and join any client I get the following error:

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The domain name wwish might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain wwish:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
        (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

Just before this had happened I did create a PPTP VPN connection which worked fine, will this of caused the problem? The VPN has now been removed?

Further investigation of my DNS settings show that I have a _kerbros entry in msdc, dc, stie, default site name.tcp AND in msdc,dc,tcp
        Last edited by neuromacer; 30th September 2007, 12:14. Reason: add more information

Comment

Hi,
          Originally posted by neuromacer View Post
          however when I try and join any client I get the following error:
          The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.
          You have removed what lies at the end of this line or it was blank?

What happens if you do an nslookup of _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.yourdomainname on any of the affected clients? They have the correct DNS server in ther IP settings?

Just before this had happened I did create a PPTP VPN connection which worked fine, will this of caused the problem? The VPN has now been removed?

Further investigation of my DNS settings show that I have a _kerbros entry in msdc, dc, stie, default site name.tcp AND in msdc,dc,tcp
          I'm afraid you'll have to explain about the VPN. We don't know if it has been removed or not. I don't even know which machine had the VPN connection. Are the machines all in the one office?

Can I ask what the DNS forwarding problem was?

Comment

Originally posted by Maebe View Post
            Hi,

You have removed what lies at the end of this line or it was blank? Sorry I omitted the domain name

What happens if you do an nslookup of _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.yourdomainname on any of the affected clients? will check this in the morning

They have the correct DNS server in ther IP settings? The IP settings are correct and pointing to the correct DNS server

I'm afraid you'll have to explain about the VPN. I created a new VPN service/server for remote access using the routing and remote access wizard. pretty straight forward stuff. It was only a test.

We don't know if it has been removed or not. I don't even know which machine had the VPN connection. The VPN service has been deleted, I created the vpn service on the server, so I could connect to it from home using PPTP
            Are the machines all in the one office? Yes, they are in the same office.

Can I ask what the DNS forwarding problem was? Not quite sure, another colleague resolved the issue, had some missing entries.
            Hope this is clearer!

Comment

Hiya,
              What happens if you do an nslookup of _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.yourdomainname on any of the affected clients? will check this in the morning
              any luck with this part?

Comment

Working...
              X