Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving from Linux to Server 2003

Hi,

We are in the process of getting new servers into our school which are going to be running Server 2003. We currently run Mandrake Linux on our PDC/file server.
    I am wanting to know if anyone knows of a way of transfering the users home directorys from the Linux server to the new 2003 server?
    Our schools ICT service who are carrying out the upgrade are saying that the best way will be to "dump" all the data into a share on the new server and let the users collect all there data. As I'm sure you can imagine i am not very happy with this solution as there is a lot of data that i don't want to be available to all users.

If anyone has done this, or knows any prosesses that would make this any easier, any information you could give me would be greatly appriciated.
    Thanks

Ben

Re: moving from Linux to Server 2003

Use SAMBA on the Linux box or "Services for Unix" on the Windows box. Then you can simply use the file management software (e.g. Windows Explorer) on either end to copy the data as normal. I'm not sure about permissions/access rights however; I don't know if these are transferrable. If you use "ROBOCOPY" you can copy only the folder structure first (i.e. without the files), apply the rights and permissions you need to the folder structure, and then ROBOCOPY the data, and tell it to pick up the permissions at the destination.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
      Use SAMBA on the Linux box or "Services for Unix" on the Windows box. Then you can simply use the file management software (e.g. Windows Explorer) on either end to copy the data as normal. I'm not sure about permissions/access rights however; I don't know if these are transferrable. If you use "ROBOCOPY" you can copy only the folder structure first (i.e. without the files), apply the rights and permissions you need to the folder structure, and then ROBOCOPY the data, and tell it to pick up the permissions at the destination.
      Thanks for the reply.
      I thought about that but we have at least 600 users, so the individual copying would be very very time consuming.
      I thought about creating a new samba share and putting all the seperate user folders in there so they can all be seen from the windows server.
      What is ROBOCOPY? Sounds very interesting

Comment

Originally posted by benfacer View Post
        What is ROBOCOPY? Sounds very interesting
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robocopy
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys i will give that a try.

Comment

Working...
          X