Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File deletion on a networked drive

Hello friends,

I'm having some problem here with the way of the networked drives handles file deletions.When we delete a file from a shared resource(from a network drive),the file will be completely gone.Can we change it so that it will go the server/local pc recycle bin instead.This is quite annoying as I ussually can't recover it back and I have to use yesterday's backup to restore it.I've tried using Undelete plus software on the server to recover the deleted files but the results is not good.Shadowcopy is not an option because my server has hdd space problem.So is there any known solution to this problem?Thank you in advance for the input guys.

Re: File deletion on a networked drive

Files deleted from a shared network resource do not go to the recycle bin and I don't believe it's possible to make it go to the recycle bin of the file server. I'm using Undelete Server Edition from Executive Software installed on the file server and it works great.

Comment

Thanks joeqwerty for the opinion.I'll give the program a try.

Comment

Please consider adding disk space to your server. Shadow copies do more than just make it easier to recover deleted files.
        Best wishes,
        PaulH.
        MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

There is no way of doing what you want.

You do have a good backup in place don't you??

Comment

yes wullieb1,i do have backups to restore the files but sometimes they need to recover currently modified file that was accidently deleted.Restoring from backup just recover yesterday's work only.But it sure better than nothing.

PaulH,I'll try to ask my boss to upgrade the hdd.My boss sucks as hell,super stingy when it comes to money matters.It's hard to do my work without having the proper requirements.Wish I could find a better employer

At the moment I'm using this program [email protected] Recovery demo version to do the job.This program is better than the one I'm using before but the downside of these kind of programs is,you need to be informed fast about the deleted files as it will be gone if it's already too late.

I think it'll do for now,thanks friends for your thoughts and experties.

Comment

To add to my previous post: I use Undelete Server Edition from Executive Software on our file server. I also run weekly Full and daily Incremental backups of all systems and take a daily System State backup of all systems. The undelete software replaces the Recycle Bin with a Recovery Bin which I configure to use 10% of the available disk space on the file server. The Recovery Bin cathes files that are deleted from the file server by any network client. This saves me from having to drive to the data center and search the backups when someone deletes something. Very handy.

Comment

Working...
              X