Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 DC's, one DC not authenticating user logons when the other is down

Hi,

I look after a site that has 2 DC's and 2 member servers, part of a larger enterprise with 6 different locations. The problem that I have is that when DC 02 is down, rebooting for example, I cannot login on one of my member servers. As soon as 02 has finished rebooting I can. DCDIAG comes up clean, both DCs are GCs. Where else should I be looking?

thanks

Scott

Re: 2 DC's, one DC not authenticating user logons when the other is down

how long are you waiting before you try to log on. Try waiting a few minutes as an AD based computer will cache AD info, such as DNS service records, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      how long are you waiting before you try to log on. Try waiting a few minutes as an AD based computer will cache AD info, such as DNS service records, etc.
      ok, I was logging on almost as soon as the dc was shutdown. I thought that if 1 DC couldn't service the request then it went to the next.

Comment

It ususally takes a couple of minutes for the client cache to flush out and to find the other DC.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          It ususally takes a couple of minutes for the client cache to flush out and to find the other DC.
          ok thanks.

Comment

If this is what is happening and it is an issue you can tweak Windows Behaviour. It may lead to increased DNS traffic if you shorten or stop the DNS caching.
            I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
            Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Working...
            X