IIS service down when replace new DLL file

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IIS service down when replace new DLL file

I use windows 2003 enterprise sp2 for server and setup IIS 6.0. I host website my company use ASP.net, every time web developer replace new DLL file of website to directory, IIS service down can't view website until i restart server. Please help......
    Last edited by sam2k3; 26th September 2007, 08:18.

Re: IIS service down when replace new DLL file

This makes perfect sense. A DLL is a dynamic link library that contains code that your web site uses. Replacing the DLL while the web site is running probably will make it stop working. If the web site application protection setting is not currently in High (isolated) mode but instead running in Medium (pooled) mode than it is running in a shared dllhost process with other web sites. If the web site is running in Low (inetinfo) mode then it is running in the inetinfo.exe process and that is why you have to restart IIS to get things working again. One thing you can try is to put the web site in High (isolated) mode so that when the DLL gets replaced you can just stop and start the web site or kill the application pool that is serving the web site instead of restarting IIS or rebooting the server.

Comment

Thank your post in detail, Now i use default IIS i don't configure isolation mode and i don't know clear about isolation mode. So can you tell me how should i do with my IIS?

Comment

In IIS manager:

Right click the web site and select properties
        Click the Home Directory tab
        In the application protection drop down select High (Isolated)
        Click OK

You may have to stop and restart the web site or IIS for the change to take affect

Now when you have to replace the DLL you can just stop this web site, replace it, and restart this web site

Comment

Sorry I don't see Application application protection in Home Directory tap. In this tap have Application name, Starting point, Execute permissions, Application pool. IIS on my server don't run service "Run WWW service in IIS 5.0 isolation mode". I have to use this service or not?

Comment

Sorry, I was looking at our server and forgot that we run it in IIS 5 mode. For IIS 6 you have to create a new application pool and then select the new application pool from the Home Directory tab on the web site properties.

Comment

Now i create application pool and assign to website or ready. I have to run service IIS 5.0 isolation mode or not? my website use .Net 2.

Comment

No, you just have to create an application pool for the web site. That way it runs in it's own process.

Comment

Thank you for all post reply. Now i create application pool and run it for my website already. So when I replace DLL file i have to reboot server or restart website or not?

Comment

When you replace the DLL you should just stop the web site and then start it after you replace the DLL. Right click the web site and select Stop, then replace the file, then right click the web site and select Start. That way you don't have to restart IIS or reboot the server.

Comment

Thank you so much i will do this way when i replace dll file.

Comment

Working...
                      X