Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Server 2003 Remote Desktop Console Session - Resolution?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 Remote Desktop Console Session - Resolution?

I have recently enabled remote desktop on two W2K3 Servers. I run the "mstsc /console" command in order to override the console session to check the status of the applications that are running. The remote sessions work fine, but when I go back to that server (physically) and log back in (successfully) the screen shows "Out of frequency range, please set resolution lower or see user guide".

I am lost on this one. If I remote back into the machine and take control of the session, the monitor comes in fine and I can log back in ... to the resolution error. The only thing that fixed it was to reboot.

I would like to be able to remote logon and locally logon without a reboot on a critical app. server. Is that too much to ask?

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by NurseCallSystemAnalyst; 24th September 2007, 19:54.

Re: Server 2003 Remote Desktop Console Session - Resolution?

Are you actually logging back in or just unlocking the current session, when you get back to the physical server?
    Can you match your workstation monitor (the computer you are connecting from) frequency to the one on the server? (right click on the desktop, properties, settings tab, advanced button near the bottom, monitor tab, screen refresh rate drop down)
    Try connecting again and post back results.
    Maybe some others will have helpful ideas too.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

I think the console RDP session somehow affects the resolution of the physical console monitor. Try setting the resolution in the console RDP session to something the physical monitor supports (go for 1024x768 if you have to).

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Update: Server 2003 Remote Desktop Console Session - Resolution?

To answer questions:
        I am unlocking the current session and I have already matched the console and the client exactly to each others settings. I tried changing resolutions as low as a default Microsoft driver would go, upgraded the drivers, tried all of the settings there ... No Change

UPDATE:
        When posting the original message, I missed a very important piece of information.
        These servers are on a Belkin 2-port KVM switch. It is the model that switches between ports through keystrokes.
        I eliminated it today and voila! No more issue. However, I have to share the monitor.
        Has anyone had any similar issues with KVM switches?
        My sister had a digital/analog switch that went bad this week as well.
        Any KVM switch reccommendations? I just buy whatever is at the first store!

Comment

In my experience (relevant only to me of course) Belkin KVM's don't work very well. I inherited three of them and have had numerous problems with each one. This is of course only anecdotal info and should not be construed as a recommendation for or against any specific KVM manufacturer.

P.S. LOL Stonelaughter. JK.

Comment

I have only used cheapo no name/ no brand KVM switches so I am unable to recommend one. However It would be prudent to get one that will switch between the higher resolutions that are now becoming more and more common. My first KVM had a max resolution of 1024 x 768. This would be totally useles now where 17" LCDs have a native mode of 1280 x 1024.

If you live in OZ, this may be of help. If not, search for KVM Switches in your own country's Google. http://www.google.com.au/search?sour...q=kvm+switches
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
              In my experience (relevant only to me of course) Belkin KVM's don't work very well. I inherited three of them and have had numerous problems with each one. This is of course only anecdotal info and should not be construed as a recommendation for or against any specific KVM manufacturer.

P.S. LOL Stonelaughter. JK.
              LOL I hate Belkin KVMs too...

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I too had a Belkin (an 8 porter) for my server rack - I don't think I've ever sworn so much before or since - swapped it out for another Belkin - same probs.

Accidently let the damn thing give cause for a reboot of a server the big boss was running a critical task on and, lo and behold, he finally found the funds for an HP jobby with the cat5 adaptors - deep joy!

I have a few Dakota Scout 4 porters knocking about. If your in the UK, I'll happily bung one in a jify bag for you (free of charge, natch!). Prob worth sourcing a 6volt 0.7a psu for it if you want to run servers through it - not absolutely necessary though.

Comment

Working...
                X