DNS problems...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS problems...

The DNS server is integrated with Active Directory (both running off the same server). I have tried re-installing the DNS server several times, but for some reason, no records are being updated and I get the following informational message in the DNS Event Log:

"The DNS server did not detect any zones of either primary or secondary type during initialization. It will not be authoritative for any zones, and it will run as a caching-only server until a zone is loaded manually or by Active Directory replication. For more information, see the online Help."

I have deleted and re-added the AD zone from DNS management several times.

Help!
    Last edited by Sam Pearson; 20th September 2007, 20:55. Reason: clarity

Re: DNS problems...

Update: there aren't any _SRV records, msdcs, or anything like that. Is there a way I can recreate these without re-installing AD? (We only have 1 DC)

Comment

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239897
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

The records weren't regenerated. When I deleted the zone and re-added it to DNS, I received the following warning: "The DNS server encountered error 32 attempting to load zone <domain.internal> from Active Directory."

So... do I have corrupted DNS info in Active Directory or something? How can I remove all DNS from AD and fully re-install and re-configure DNS so it works properly?

Comment

have you tried running the dnscmd /fix command on the DC?

Michael
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Install the proper version of Windows support tools and run netdiag /test:dns
            It will brings more light in the dark..
            The netdiag /fix will try to fix the issues.
            Regards,
            Csaba Papp
            MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
            Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Originally posted by netxt View Post
              The netdiag /fix .
              That's the correct command.

Please ignore my previous post as I couldn't remember the command and wasn't near a Windows 2003 Server.

Apologies

Michael
              Michael Armstrong
              www.m80arm.co.uk
              MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

netdiag /fix outputted a bunch of test results. All of them passed or were skipped, except for the following:

NetBT name test: Passed
                [WARNING] You don't have a signle interface with the <00> 'WorkStation Service', <03> 'Messenger Service', <20> 'WINS' names defined.

DNS test: Failed
                [WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC cannot be verified rigt now on DNS server 127.0.0.1, ERROR_TIMEOUT.
                [FATAL] No DNS servers have the DNS records for this DC registered.

Edit:
                netdiag /test:dns passed all tests except the following:

DNS test: failed
                [WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC are not registered correctly on DNS server '127.0.0.1'. Please wait for 30 minutes for the DNS server replication
                [FATAL] No DNS servers have the DNS records for this DC registered.
                Last edited by Sam Pearson; 21st September 2007, 19:29.

Comment

Whoa, I'm not sure what changed, but now I'm getting tons of warnings similar to the following:

The DNS server encountered a packet addressed to itself on IP address 192.168.0.2. The packet is for the DNS name "_ldap._tcp.88f33b15-96c8-4cb8-84bf-221051784b99.domains._msdcs.example.com.". The packet will be discarded. This condition usually indicates a configuration error.

Comment

Hiya,
                    You may wish to have a look at this knowledgebase article for these new errors.
                    I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
                    Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

maybe a silly one but what about:
                      ipconfig /registerdns
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Update: I think I forgot to mention that our RAID-1 was recently destroyed, leaving two identical drives. Over the past couple weeks, one of the drives has updated and changed its data, so sometime soon I'm going to recreate the RAID with the updated drive data. Anyway, this leads me to believe it is some sort of weird file permission error.

Has anyone had issues with one drive in their RAID failing and being unable to load AD-stored DNS info? I think that this error: "The DNS server encountered error 32 attempting to load zone domain.internal from Active Directory" is the real reason for my problems: for whatever reason (permissions error? regenerated GUID upon RAID destruction, etc?), I can't access the zone info in Active Directory, even though it's there; I checked using dnscmd.

Ideally, I think I'd want to delete the ForestDnsZones and DomainDnsZones directory partitions and recreate them. I get RCODE_REFUSED (9005) when I try to /DeleteDirectoryPartition, though.

Comment

Yet another update...

When I recreate the DNS zone, DNS information in Active Directory gets updated with host records of LAN computers. However, the DNS Server can't retrieve this info from Active Directory. What would be the best way to find out what is preventing the DNS Server and AD from communicating (they are on the same server)?

Comment

What is the IP address you are using for DNS resolution??

Is it 127.0.0.1??

Comment

Yes, the server is set up to use 127.0.0.1 for DNS resolution.

Comment

Working...
                              X