No announcement yet.

Recovery of Active Direcotry

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery of Active Direcotry

Well I have Windows Server 2003 that acting as a DC.
    Well to recovery of Active Directory , we have to backup System State data, that i Know.

But in the Restore Process

Suppose we may need to reinstall the fresh copy of the Operating system then, there is any need to run the DCPROMO for restoring the system state. ?

Because the after the fresh instllation of Windows Server 2003, we can not go to the Directory Service Restore Mode. because there is no any Active directory.

So Can we restore the System State Data in Normal Mode?

If Yes then after the restore of the System State data in normal mode should my Active Directory will work Fine or not ?

Please Help me on this matter.

Then How

Re: Recovery of Active Direcotry

I would go for:

Fresh install of Windows
    Restore System State data
    Restart Server
    AD Replication will then bring the box up to date (If there are other DCs on the network)

Depending if you have other DCs or not, there are easier ways round it.

E.g we have multiple DCs, if one goes face down we just re-install Windows, give it a new name (Not the same as the old DC) and use DCPROMO to install AD. The Other DCs just replicate to it then.

the only disadvantage of this method is having to Seize FSMO roles from the dead box and not being able to use the same name.
    MCSA/MCSE 2000
    MCSA/MCSE 2003

I love pies.

Re: Recovery of Active Directory

An one point I don't agree with hairy51. If a DC is not recovered from backup we have to clean up the AD using NTDSutil. So it is easier to perform regular backup and a simply restore than DC promotion and AD clean up.
      More over, if we have full backup of the entire server only a minimal version of OS is needed before the restore without SPs and latest updates
      Csaba Papp
      MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
      Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate