Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move users from one domain to new domain

is there any special way of doing this?

can i export a .csv file and then import that into the new domain?

there are about 100 users that i will need to populate to the new domain and i'd like to find a simple step by step method..

advice appreciated. thanks.

Re: Move users from one domain to new domain

If you have GPMC installed there are a number of scripts in the GPMC\Scripts directory that might help. The first one is "CreateXMLFromEnvironment.wsf" which creates an XML file from your AD environment. The other is "CreateEnvironmentFromXML.wsf" which creates an AD environment from the XML file. You can look at the options to see how granular you can be regarding exporting the users.

Comment

thanks for that.

i'm checking them out now.

have you ever used these before? any tips will be appreciated. thanks.

Comment

Hii...dublin...

if you are not really familiar with running LDIFDE related command for importing and exporting of users.....you can use a simple tool ManageEngine AdManager Plus ...its free simple and fast....Just give a try working on this...

Comment

i thought about ldifde..............but i wasn't sure if it worked migrating from one domain to a new domain.

Comment

Ofcou it works....i myself experienced and imported 16000 users in to new domain....all you need to do is....while exporting users use filters...and after exporting open the file and replace your existing old domain name with the new domain name....and then start importing...it works

Comment

Originally posted by radhakanth View Post
              Ofcou it works....i myself experienced and imported 16000 users in to new domain....all you need to do is....while exporting users use filters...and after exporting open the file and replace your existing old domain name with the new domain name....and then start importing...it works

but when i exported the existing domain i got all of these numbers and groups, etc......

do i have to use special filters when doing the export first? if so, any tips? thanks.

another issue is the current domain is:

sub.domain.com

and the new one will be

domain.local

thanks

Comment

I have used this tool from MS before: Active Directory Migration Tool.
                CCNA, Network+

Comment

I used ADMT, as Daze has pointed out, in a 3000-user migration. It's simple and quick but you MUST read the documentation first as there is a trick to making it work.

You need to first migrate the AD groups across then run ADMT again but instead migrate just the users. This ensures that when the users are migrated, their SIDs can be linked to the SIDs in the groups. If you do it the other way around, your groups will be empty.
                  |
                  +-- JDMils
                  |
                  +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
                  |

Comment

yeh i was looking at the ADMT and the user guide is about 150 pages.........that is why i was trying to work out which way to go.

our network is only about 100 users, but there are many groups and shares...so i want to try and decide which way to go and then spend a day or two studying the method chosen. thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X