No announcement yet.

FTP access (single IP / multi domains)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP access (single IP / multi domains)

I have two separate domain names set up on my server, using a single IP and host headers. I want to set up two separate FTP sites. Here are my IIS settings
    FTP #1 (same domain as www.site1.com) is pointing to drive H using port 21
    FTP #2 (same domain as www.site2.com) is pointing to drive G using port 20

FTP #1 has 1 username, with read-only access
    FTP #2 has 1 username, with read and write access

when attempting to login on FTP #2, I am directed to the root drive of FTP #1 (the H drive)

any ideas why?
    They keep getting younger, don't they baby...

Compaq Presario PC: Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard / Intel Celeron 2.6 ghz / 1 gb RAM
    HP m7470n Media Center PC: Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005 / AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.19 ghz / 2 gb RAM
    Toshiba Satellite M35 Special Edition: Windows XP Pro SP2 / Intel Pentium M 1.70 ghz / 1 gb RAM
    Gateway FMC-901 Media Center PC Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005 / Intel Pentium 4 3.0 ghz / 512 mb RAM

Re: FTP access (single IP / multi domains)

Each FTP site will need to use ports 20 and 21 as FTP uses two connections, a data connection and a control connection. Even though you have set one ftp site to use port 20 I don't believe it will work as port 20 is the data connection that ftp uses. You might try using a different port number for the second ftp site that doesn't conflict with ports 20 and 21. Since you are running these ftp sites on IIS, the way I have found to configure multiple ftp sites on one ip address is to create virtual directories under the default ftp site and restrict each virtual directory with a username/password and NTFS permissions. Also, even though you can tell IE (if that is the ftp client you are using) to connect to a different control port I don't think you can tell it to connect to a different data port. Here is an example of my configuration:

ftp://x.x.x.x/site1

ftp://x.x.x.x/site2

I then inform the users of each site to access it using a URL that includes the virtual directory as above.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      Here is an example of my configuration:

ftp://x.x.x.x/site1

ftp://x.x.x.x/site2

I then inform the users of each site to access it using a URL that includes the virtual directory as above.
      So there isn't a way for me to have ftp://www.site1.com and ftp://www.site2.com running on a single IP?

Compaq Presario PC: Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard / Intel Celeron 2.6 ghz / 1 gb RAM
      HP m7470n Media Center PC: Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005 / AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.19 ghz / 2 gb RAM
      Toshiba Satellite M35 Special Edition: Windows XP Pro SP2 / Intel Pentium M 1.70 ghz / 1 gb RAM
      Gateway FMC-901 Media Center PC Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005 / Intel Pentium 4 3.0 ghz / 512 mb RAM

Comment

I think if you use a port other than 20 or 21 for the second site it may work. You'll need to test it and find out. I never tried doing it that way. I always use the method I described in my previous post.

Comment

I'll give it a shot and let you know. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
          X