No announcement yet.

Domain access problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain access problem

Hi All,

I have a windows Server 2003 domain which recently will not let me access the domain correctly. By this i mean the following:

I add a laptop to the domain, restart the laptop and login to the server. By the time i get through admin tools and attempt to add the person's username to the administrators group (so that they have full admin rights) the domain has disappeared from the list. Also the domain admins that are set as default show the long ID string instead of the user name, as if the information has not been handed down from the domain.
    I can still access the servers fine (by browsing the IP number), i can print etc. I just cannot get the laptop to login to the domain using the persons AD login.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: Domain access problem

It sounds as if you have some major DNS issues
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Hi, thanks for the reply, would demoting and rebuilding the domain be a wise move? It is only a small network of about 12 users which wouldn't take long to rebuild.
      I would assume that would correct any DNS issues? As i would have to set things up again from scratch?

I wouldn't rebuild right away..
        What does the eventviewers say?
        what does dcdiag say?
        Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

could be DNS. have you tried doing nslookup?
          MCSA, MCDST, MCP

Ordinary Human in an Extra Ordinary World....

As mentioned earlier, this does sound like a DNS problem, try running the below to perform a DNS test using netdiag.exe (located in Windows 2003 Server Resource Kit) and to test connection to a domain controller within your domain

netdiag /test:dns 
            netdiag /d:<domain name>
            If any errors are returned you may run the fix parameter to attempt to resolve this issue

netdiag /fix
            To verify DNS and Active Directory, you could perform the following steps:

Verify the domain configuration, Ensure your domain is correctly named in the Active Directory Users and Computers Console Tree and the computer objects for the domain controllers are in the Domain Controllers organisational unit.

To confirm DNS configuration check your Forward Lookup Zones and view the resource records have been created. If these have not been created you may restart Netlogon service to see if these are created, if not check the Netlogon log file %windir%\system32\config\netlogon.dns for any error messages (I would check this file anyway). To verify DNS intergration with Active Directory select properties for the zone from Forward Lookup Zones, ensure the Type is Active Directory Intergrated Zone, ensure Secure Dynamic Updates and Load Zone Data on startup are selected.
            MCSA 2000/2003

Thanks for the replies guys.

Dcdiag did give an error but now seems to run smoothly.
              Netdiag runs ok, it only seems to error on the ISP's external dns servers, saying that DNS entries for this DC are not correctly registered on them and to wait 30 mins for the DNS server replication.

On my network card on the PDC i have :
              Gate: (this is a firewall)

Oh dear,

On nslookup the following message appeared:

Can't find server name for address Non existant domain
                Default Server: Unknown

Not sure exactly what this means but i guess its not good. Any ideas on a fix??