Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ftp user isolation (not with AD)

hello,
    one of my customers has a very small workgroup, they are running a server 2003 machine as a file/print server. they asked my to setup an ftp site for them so their customers can put drawing straight on to their server. i've done this many times before so assumed it would be a 5 minute job, i setup the ftp site up with user isolation. it works fine if i turn on anonymous access and create a public folder under my ftp root.

C:\ftp\localusers\public

when i turn this off and try and login with local user accounts, it doesn't work! i've created

C:\ftp\localusers\%username%

folders, and the ntfs permissions are correct. i've even run AccessEnum to double check. the error i get in the logs is

User test failed to log on, could not access the home directory /.

thanks for the help, i'm at a loss!

thnaks again

Re: ftp user isolation (not with AD)

any ideas ???

Comment

bump again

Comment

Check the permissions on the ftp root, not on the users' folders. That's because the users' folders are not the root, which is where any ftp login will be trying to access.

Just a thought.
        Best wishes,
        PaulH.
        MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

thanks for the reply.

yep the permissions on the ftp root folder are fine. i have even created a seperate group for ftp users with admin rights on the ftp root folder. this still made no difference. ????

thanks again

Comment

Is the %username% folder underneath C:\ftp\localusers\public - your first post indicates that it is not, but it should be.

It is the ntfs permissions on the ftp root that matter - try to get this root folder working first, without worrying about the subfolders for each person.

Also, I have had some troubles with using Internet Explorer as the ftp client - trying to navigate to ftp://ftp.mydomain.co.uk often has problems. Even navigating to ftp://[email protected] can fail too. So let's see if we can get an ftp client (proper ftp software) working first, just on that root folder, then we can start restricting access user by user.
            Best wishes,
            PaulH.

Comment

i've done a test install on another one of my small workgroup 2003 servers, and i works fine. i've removed iis from for the problem server and reinstalled, but the same problem comes back. are there any files i should be deleting after uninstalling iis?

thanks for the advice

Comment

No, I don't think so.

Since you are on a workgroup, are you sure the same usernames and identical passwords exist in local users and groups on both the "working" server and the one that has ftp problems?

The only step next is to go through everything to do with this topic on the working server and make certain it is the same as on the one with problems, being as pedantic as possible.

I agree that wiping iis and starting over with a clean sheet is a wise move, in case there is some minor anomoly between the two systems.
                Best wishes,
                PaulH.

Comment

Working...
                X