Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need better Password Complexity..pls help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need better Password Complexity..pls help!

Having issues with a client...........they are not happy with the password complexity as their users seem to just increment the password...............eg Password1 expires and then they do Password2

Windows doesn't seem to have anything in-built to compare previous passwords....

any guys out there know of any third party product? Thanks.

Re: need better Password Complexity..pls help!

If you're using a 2003 domain, I think it work in a 2000 to, you can increase the security level by right-clicking the domain name in "domains and trust" and using the wizard.

Robert

Comment

2003 domain.

its a big issue and there must be a third party solution to prevent the incremental passwords.

im hoping someone out there will have experienced this before. thanks.

Comment

IMHO, the increment is not the issue they should be afraid of, but the complexity of the password in the first place. If you have a complex enough password (yes, I know everything is breakable, in the end), it should do the job.
        When one deals with passwords, should find the golden path between strong (complex) passwords and the ease for the user to remember it. What good will do you a password like VdhNSc.0 , if no one can remember it?
        Allow me to offer you a rule I use few years now, from a book I read that dealt with computer security:
        1) think of something that is relevant to you: a book, a movie, a band, actors, anything you like, and take their initials;
        2) add at specific places punctuation signs, you decide how many and if they are all the same, or in a specific order (first ".", then "!" and so on);
        3) add few numbers (at least 2, and no more than 4). The number can be random or meaningful. But not full birthdays and such.

I like the Star Trek series (can you guess? ). If I was to build a new password for me at this moment, I would choose: ST!TNG!24 . Using Start Trek: The Next Generation, "!" and the sum of the ages of my children. And this is just the basis. Change it as you please, and you'll get an easy-to-remember, highly complex password.

But, as I said at the beginning, this is only my opinion.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

thanks for your input Sorin.

unfortunately the password issue is not for me. its for a client which employs many women and they are having the issues of their staff incrementing the passwords.

it is their policy that staff change their passwords every 60 days. the issue is that they just increment them from what i've been told.

if you know of any third party application to assist in this, please let me know. thanks.

Comment

I understand that this is your client's request. In my opinion, your client is keeping himself (and you) busy with the wrong question.
            I'm sorry, but I am not aware of any such piece of software.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Working...
            X