Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Printers

Hi everyone.
    I work at a faculty where we have 2 labs, each with about 20 Windows XP computers and 2 network printers.
    There are about 600 users.
    We also have a Windows Server 2003 that acts as the print server, domain controller, etc.
    2 printers were already installed when I started working.
    As far as I know, those printers were installed using a weird windows 2000 method involving the registry and moving/copying NTUSER and NTUSER.DAT. In case you need, I have the instructions on a PDF, but I tryied to use them and they don't seem to be for XP but rather for 2000.

I need to uninstall those 2 printers (or change their names).
    I was not able to uninstall them. I tryied deleting every key in the registry with the printer's names but that didn't work.
    Any idea how to do that?

The Windows Server question is... I need to add the other 2 printers. Is there any way to do that from the group policy?
    I need one printer to be the default printer in one lab, and a different printer to be the default on the other lab.

I found information on how to add a global printer with the RUNDLL32 PRINTUI.DLL,PrintUIEntry command, but the /y switch doesn't work with global printers.
    The info about that is here.
    I added the remaining 2 printers with that method, but they aren't the default printers.
    I cannot set the default printer for each user since they are 600 users on about 45 computers, and they use any unused computer.

Any ideas?
    Thank you very much.

Re: Global Printers

Hi Leoh,
    That is a really good link.
    I'll raise you another. From here it looks like you will also need a /gd switch.
    # The corresponding function for deleting a printer globally is /gd. If you attempt to delete a global printer by using the Delete function in the printer's context menu, it will appear to delete, but will reappear when the Print Spooler service is restarted.
    If that is no help:
    You mentioned Windows Server and GPOs so you may find some of the threads in the scripting forum handy for this.
    Possibly this and this might help.

Last but not least another way might be through the registry. If you follow this one I think you could get away with just two reg files, one for each office.
    I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
    Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

I read your links, and I already knew some of them. They are quite interesting.
      But I still can't remove the printers, it seems something is being added to the registry somehow, may be through the "Default User".
      This is what I did:

I deleted every key where the old printer's name appeared on the registry, logged as administrator.
      Then, I logged as a new user.
      The old printers still appear on:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Connections

If I manually delete the printers from there, they disappear. But every time a new user logs in for the first time on a computer, the printers appear there.

I guess something from the Default User is being added to the registry... but how can I edit that?

I found information on how they were installed before I started to work here, but under Windows 2000. It involves copying the ntuser.* files to c:\documents and settings\default user\, and editing and copying somehow the following keys:
      • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Nt\Current version\Devices
      • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\PrinterPorts
      • HKEY_USERS\NTUSER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current version\Printer Ports
      • HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\Printers
      • HKEY_USERS\NTUSER

In case you need them, I have the exact instructions for doing that.

The problem I had when trying to revert the instructions is that some of those keys don't exist (for example, HKEY_USERS\NTUSER).

What should I do?

Thanks!

Comment

Any ideas?

I may be offtopic... should I reopen this as a new thread under the Windows XP sub-forum?

Comment

When you log in a user and remove their printers do they stay removed if you log them out and back in?

Comment

Originally posted by Maebe View Post
            When you log in a user and remove their printers do they stay removed if you log them out and back in?
            They stay removed. If I log back in, the printers aren't there.
            That's why I'm guessing that it has something to do with the "Default User".

I tryied the following, with success:

Opened a "test" user. Removed the printers. Then, copied the NTUSER and NTUSER.DAT, and a few other similar files to c:\documents and settings\Default User.

That did the trick. But is it the right way to do this? Am I missing something?

I thought also of renaming c:\documents and settings\test as c:\documents and settings\Default User... but would that work, or I would mess things up?

The other problem I have... is that I have about 45 computers with that problem... is there any way to avoid doing this manually on each computer?

Comment

What you did should be ok, there is in XP the ability to do it through a GUI. Can't recall how exactly atm, through Control Panel->Users Profiles or System Properties->Users-> User Profiles or something very close to that.

For doing this to all 45 computers maybe save the NTUSER and NTUSER.DAT and any other files/folders (Desktop, Start Menu, etc) to a share. That should take some of the work from it.

For the copying you might want to see if a log on script can do it for you. That said maybe running a script from one PC with admin rights would be even easier again. I'm far from an expert on scripting. :/

Comment

For doing this to all 45 computers maybe save the NTUSER and NTUSER.DAT and any other files/folders (Desktop, Start Menu, etc) to a share. That should take some of the work from it.
                I don't want to do that since not all of the 45 computers have the same software installed. So that might mess things up...

For the copying you might want to see if a log on script can do it for you. That said maybe running a script from one PC with admin rights would be even easier again. I'm far from an expert on scripting. :/
                Ok, I'll get into that.

Thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
                X