Fresh install / partition formatting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh install / partition formatting

I apologize for the potentially dumb question, but it's the one small question that I can't seem to find in the install guides.

I am doing a fresh install of Windows Server 2003 R2 on a machine with an existing OS (Windows 2000, I believe) and a non-partitioned drive. I plan on creating a new partition for the Server install (we'll call it Partition A), and all the remaining information will be left in it's existing location (we'll call it Partition B)

Question: Once the new OS is installed on Partition A, can I reformat Partition B, without effecting or otherwise fubar-ing my new OS install on Partition A?

Thanks in advance.
    They keep getting younger, don't they baby...

Compaq Presario PC: Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard / Intel Celeron 2.6 ghz / 1 gb RAM
    HP m7470n Media Center PC: Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005 / AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.19 ghz / 2 gb RAM
    Toshiba Satellite M35 Special Edition: Windows XP Pro SP2 / Intel Pentium M 1.70 ghz / 1 gb RAM
    Gateway FMC-901 Media Center PC Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005 / Intel Pentium 4 3.0 ghz / 512 mb RAM

Re: Fresh install / partition formatting

Yes you can. You can format partition B without affecting Partition A.

When installing W2K03 you have the option to format all drives and re-create new partitions i.e You may want to increase the size of Partition Aor split Partition B into B and C. This is all part of the W2K03 setup.

Hope this helps

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Fresh install / partition formatting

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
      Yes you can. You can format partition B without affecting Partition A.

When installing W2K03 you have the option to format all drives and re-create new partitions i.e You may want to increase the size of Partition Aor split Partition B into B and C. This is all part of the W2K03 setup.

Hope this helps

Michael
      It does. Thank you.

Just wondering, what would be an an appropriate partition size?
      Last edited by Norcross; 10th September 2007, 16:11. Reason: additional question
      They keep getting younger, don't they baby...

Compaq Presario PC: Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard / Intel Celeron 2.6 ghz / 1 gb RAM
      HP m7470n Media Center PC: Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005 / AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.19 ghz / 2 gb RAM
      Toshiba Satellite M35 Special Edition: Windows XP Pro SP2 / Intel Pentium M 1.70 ghz / 1 gb RAM
      Gateway FMC-901 Media Center PC Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005 / Intel Pentium 4 3.0 ghz / 512 mb RAM

Comment

Working...
      X