Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem in DHCP server without DC

Hi all
    I have installed windows 2003 server and configured it as DHCP server. This is the only Server Operating System in my network.
    There is no Active Directory (Domain Controller) to authorize this DHCP server.
    Now my question is, Is it Possible to run DHCP Server alone to assign IP to client in network where there is no DC to Authorize the DHCP server.
    This time i'm having problem, the client is not getting IP from DHCP server instead it's taking APIPA.
    thanks in advance

Re: Problem in DHCP server without DC

If the server is not a Domain Member, and the Browsing service has not found an AD Domain on your network, it should run without being authorized in AD. If there is any domain member on the network it can make the DHCP server stop.

Other issues: Are there any routers between the client and the server? Is the scope you created on the same IP segment as the client and server? More details are needed.

IP and subnet mask of the server?
    IP and subnet mask of the scope?

Comment

Originally posted by foze.bear View Post
      If the server is not a Domain Member, and the Browsing service has not found an AD Domain on your network, it should run without being authorized in AD. If there is any domain member on the network it can make the DHCP server stop.

Other issues: Are there any routers between the client and the server? Is the scope you created on the same IP segment as the client and server? More details are needed.

IP and subnet mask of the server?
      IP and subnet mask of the scope?
      Thanks foze.bear
      here are my details
      all 20 PC are XP and configured to take ip automatically. 1 PC is windows 2003 server which is configured to be a DHCP server. IP of server is 10.0.0.1 / 255.0.0.0,
      IP and subnetmask of scope (10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.30 )/ 255.0.0.0 ; 10.0.0.1 is excluded from being assigned to dhcp clients. and all PC's are on same network i.e. no router and 1 more thing there is no other servers like DC,DNS,WINS.
      the dhcpserver is the only server on network.

Thanks

Comment

Download Wireshark (or another network sniffer of your choice) and run it and see if you see any DHCP traffic from the clients and see if you see any DHCP traffic from the server. This may give you a clue as to what's going on.

Comment

Also, if you do fix the IP address on the client, can it then ping the server? If not, you probably have a cabling or plug problem to look for first.

Do all the clients behave this way or is just one client failing? If they are all getting APIPA it may be because the DHCP server scope needs to be activated (which is different from Authorizing) so right click on the Scope and select Activate and then it will become live. If the pop-up menu has a "Deactivate" option then it is already activated.

And I know you said you have no routers on the LAN but can you just confirm that you do not even have a Broadband DSL router providing you with Internet access? Because if you have, it'll be a DHCP server by default.

By the way, having a DHCP server with no DNS or Active directory is a perfectly legitimate setup to have.
          Best wishes,
          PaulH.
          MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Thanks frens. for your valuable suggestions.
            PaulH though you said "it's perfect to have a DHCP server without DC and DNS."
            I don't know why it's giving me problem :~ (no there is no DSL router or internet, it's just a one subnet with network address 10.0.0.0)
            I suppose i have to install Active directory. This is the last resort.
            Anyway.
            Thankyou everyone.

Comment

Check in Services that the DHCP service is actually running. Maybe it is set to manual or even stopped. (Clutching straws here). Also, installing AD does have some substantial benefits.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                Also, installing AD does have some substantial benefits.
                Yes, it certainly does, but cannot be viewed as a "fix" for this problem. I think it's irrelevant, so the DHCP problem needs fixing first, then install AD if you want it.

Did you carry out my suggestions? Is DHCP service runing as per Biggles' post? Is the scope activated? You should not need AD just because DHCP is broken.
                Best wishes,
                PaulH.

Comment

I aggree with PaulH. Set a client to a static IP and see if you can access the server. You may be chasing a physical problem here. XP will show a LAN card is connected at times even though the cable is really bad.

Comment

Hey guys thankyou very much to all of you.
                    Yes I can ping and the network was fine if i put static ip on my xp clients the problem arised as soon as i opted to get IP automatically.
                    Yes the scope was also okay it was activated. DHCP server was also running.
                    Every single thing (i knew till today) were well configured but yet the clients were getting APIPA.
                    I just did "dcpromo" made it domain controller Authorized the dhcp server and it worked fine.
                    Lastly, i removed the role of DC using server configuration wizard and now it's working great without DC.
                    Moral of the story (for me) was never configure DHCP server without DC. reason : IT"S PROBLEMATIC (i.e. sometimes it works some time it fails
                    Thanks once again

Comment

Just curious, but why not leave the DC running? Biggles is correct about the benifits.

Comment

Also, I recently had another thought as to why it might not have been working before: Make sure that the DHCP server is bound to the network adaptor.

I still can't help thinking that it is perfectly OK to have DHCP without AD, just because it is working now, does not mean we should adopt the idea that "DHCP without AD is a no-no". It's not. It's perfectly OK to have DHCP without AD. Done it plenty of times, and I wouldn't like to mislead any other readers of this thread into thinking they have to install AD in order to get DHCP working.

Having said that, yes Biggles is right too, of course.

And finally - very glad it's now working for you.
                        Best wishes,
                        PaulH.

Comment

I think that I know the reason.
                          First the (DHCP) have to work with the (DNS) because the (IP) given from the (DCHP) have to resolve to be (NAME) so.
                          when he installed the (DC) by default the (DNS) have to install so. the (DHCP) was working and then he uninstalled the (DC) but he didn't uninstalled the (DNS) I think this is the scenario

Comment

Originally posted by foze.bear View Post
                            Just curious, but why not leave the DC running? Biggles is correct about the benifits.
                            because there is no Need of DC. And to minimize extra problems.
                            I want to implement a very simple network

Originally posted by PaulH
                            Also, I recently had another thought as to why it might not have been working before: Make sure that the DHCP server is bound to the network adaptor. .
                            Sorry but i didn't get you . Could you please clarify the process of bounding the DHCP server to the network adaptor.

Comment

Working...
                            X