Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Domain wide install of SP2, does this look ok?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain wide install of SP2, does this look ok?

Hello,
    I just got approval to install SP2 on all DCs. I am also working on a Backout plan, just incase. I am installing SP2 on 8 DCs and want to make sure with you guys if you would do the same thing.

*** Staggered install process ***

Install SP2 1, Reboot
    PHXDC01

Install SP2 4, Reboot
    PHXDC02

Install SP2 7, Reboot
    PHXDC03

Install SP2 2, Reboot
    SACDC01

Install SP2 5, Reboot
    SACDC02

Install SP2 8, Reboot
    SACDC03

Install SP2 3, Reboot
    SJDC01

Install SP2 6, Reboot
    SJDC02

Let me know.
    Thanks,

Re: Domain wide install of SP2, does this look ok?

yeah... u sure...
    With that much info i would do all at once exept one to preserve AD when the others fail..
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

That is kind of scary, I have been seaching all over the place to see if the SP2 upgrade is a bad thing. My company is pushing this really hard. Now I am just even more nervous about this upgrade.

Thanks

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
      yeah... u sure...
      With that much info i would do all at once exept one to preserve AD when the others fail..

Comment

Do you not have a test network that mimics your prod network? I would try and deploy it there before going anywhere near a prod server.

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hello Michael,
          I will check, I know there are about 20-30 servers that are used for Dev stuff. The dev servers are used in the failover test, they do contain the same exact applications.

The client is pushing for the upgrade more so then we are, I know there are a couple of DCs already with SP2. I have also searched all over the place to see if SP2 can safely be removed just as part of the backup plan but can't find anything so far.

I do appreciate your help!
          Thank you

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
          Do you not have a test network that mimics your prod network? I would try and deploy it there before going anywhere near a prod server.

Michael

Comment

A couple of things:

SP2 can be uninstalled. We installed SP2 and had problems and uninstalled with no ill effects.

If you are using Terminal Services or Citrix you will need to rename all of your user profile directories from "username" to "username.domain" because of the way SP2handles user profiles. This is only applicable to TS or Citrix profiles, not local profiles.

Comment

Working...
            X