Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AD DNS issue, domain name, weird..help pls.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD DNS issue, domain name, weird..help pls.

hi guys..

was called out to a customer site.........never experienced this issue before.

first of all they have one Win 2003 AD server............turns out that there are slow user logins.......i check the dns setup, and thats right,,....there was no DNS setup at all...no AD integrated DNS zone, nothing at all.

ok, so i try and add an AD integrated forward lookup zone to suit the actual domain name......restart netlogon and wait for the srv records to create..............NO

turns out the users log onto a domain called BCA....the AD domain name is blupps.com........the Domain Controller's name is server1.bca.com...

weird as ever............i asked the ppl and they say that there was a different server before, and that is used to have a domain called bca...

i am now stuck at what to do ....that is to not affect the operations of the users.

i plugged into my laptop and tried to connect to blupps.com and couldn't.

yet when i tried to connect to bca it worked....

on the Domain Controller.....the dns suffix is blupps.com

so the domain controller itself is server1.blupps.com

i was going to just change the suffix and restart it............and then create an AD DNS forward lookup zone and hope that it would create the srv records..........but i was kinda worried about having to have all the users rejoin their computers to the domain (profile disaster)..

any ideas will be appreciated. thanks.
    Last edited by dublin_101; 5th September 2007, 12:28.

Re: AD DNS issue, domain name, weird..help pls.

Is there a WINS server?

What do the users log on to the domain for at the moment?

Is "the AD domain name is blupps.com" populated? Are there users and computers in there?

In two places you refer to server1, being server1.bca.com and server1.blupps.com is this because you've changed it or?
    I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
    Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

the ad domain name is: blupps.com

there is a WINS server installed.

The users log onto the domain from their computers. The domain field in the logon screen is BCA ...

the AD domain blupps.com is populated with users and computers...........eg yesterday when i added my computer to the domain, it was added to the computers OU.

the server name with its own dns suffix is server1.bca.com................instead of being : server1.blupps.com.

i'm amazed at how my laptop could not be added to blupps.com but when i did bca it worked and then added me to the domain...

advice appreciated.
      Last edited by dublin_101; 6th September 2007, 04:35.

Comment

I'm afraid I've been unable to replicate this.
        Sorry Dublin.
        I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
        Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Working...
        X