Windows Server 2003 Stndrd DC Recovery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2003 Stndrd DC Recovery

I have Windows Server 2003 Standard machine with single domain configured.It has ISA Server 2006 Ent. Edition and MS Exchange Server 2003 with SP1 on seperate Member Server.

I have taken System State and complete C Drive backup of Domain Controller. Suppose, my DC crashes suddenly.

Now, I reinstall same OS as before. Now, in what order should i restore backup. I have come up with two scenarios.Keep in mind the hardware is same.Disaster in a sense that Windows Server 2003 Stndrd installation crashed not hardware.I have yet to come across such disasters but wants to prepare in advance to avoid delay in recovery.

Scenario 1.

1. Reinstall Same OS.

2. Give it same machine name and IP address.

3. Restart the machine in Directory Services Restore Mode and restore System State backup.After restoration, restart it again in normal mode.

4. Restore C Drive Backup.

Scenario 2.

1. Reinstall Same OS.

2. Give it same machine name and IP Address.

3. run DCPROMO and configure same domain name as before and do necessary restart of machine as required by DCPROMO

4. Restart the machine in Directory Services Restore MOde and restore System State Backup. After restoration, restart in normal Mode.

5. restore C Drive Backup

Now, is it necessary to have a C drive backup to restore DC to its previous state or just System State Backup is enough?.
    Will the GUID of domain be same again as it was before if i restore backup using Scenario 1 and Scenario 2(whichever fits good)./
    Will all WinXP clients log in successfully without rejoining them to domain again?
    What if i change the hardware and restoring those backup will be successfull.?
    do i need to restore C drive backup in Directory Services Restore Mode or in Normal Mode?

Re: Windows Server 2003 Stndrd DC Recovery

Hi,

I have scenario 3 for you

1. install on the same HW same OS with the same service pack and patches(if you have list of applied patches)
    a. use the same drivers - recommended
    b. reformat disk C before/during installation
    c. disk C size should have enough space for OS and restored backup

2. boot in a normal mode (IP, computer name - are not important) run restore of disk C and System state with OVERWRITE option

you can use different HW, but it is more complicated then using the same HW
    With best regards, Victor

Comment

Originally posted by mrsharique View Post
      Scenario 1.

1. Reinstall Same OS.

2. Give it same machine name and IP address.

3. Restart the machine in Directory Services Restore Mode and restore System State backup.After restoration, restart it again in normal mode.

4. Restore C Drive Backup.

Scenario 2.

1. Reinstall Same OS.

2. Give it same machine name and IP Address.

3. run DCPROMO and configure same domain name as before and do necessary restart of machine as required by DCPROMO

4. Restart the machine in Directory Services Restore MOde and restore System State Backup. After restoration, restart in normal Mode.

5. restore C Drive Backup
      So scenarios 1 & 2 are identical aprt from the DCPromo stage. So let's think what DCPromo does! It takes a member server and creates an Active Directory database. So what does System State Restore do? It overwrites an Active Directory database with a previous one. So you see that DCPromo is redundant - especially as it will create a "base" AD with a new Admin and Guest account with new SIDs - not good for connecting our existing servers/users to.

Restore to different Hardware is more problematic as you may not have the relevent drivers in the restore - but as long as you can get to the data on your disks, that should not be a problem.
      TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

scenario N1 shouldn't work - you can't reboot in Directory Services Restore Mode without Directory Services (AD)

In Scenario 2 - you don't need another AD to overwrite from the backup
        With best regards, Victor

Comment

Working...
        X