Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How-to assign more than one Netbios name to a machine.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-to assign more than one Netbios name to a machine.

I'm in the process of migrating a client from NT to 2003. I did a fresh install of 2003 on a new machine and moved the users etc. The problem is that in doing the fresh install I created a new machine name. I want to be able to use this new name as well as the old Netbios name so that exisiting network apps which are hardcoded don't need to be altered. Right now changing the machine name to the old name isn't a possibility.

I know of an old "hack" for NT which allowed you to do what I've described but it doesn't appear to work in Win2003.

Code:
    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters 
    Multi-String Value called OptionalNames
    I've also done the following...
    Created a CName, oldservername -> newservername.domain.local (no dice)
    Created a static Wins entry for the old server name -> new IP (no dice)

At the moment when doing a net view oldservername I get the following error message...
    "You were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the network"
    which it doesn't because right now the new machine is on a switch with no other machines .

Any suggestions are appreciated...

TIA
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Found the solution...

Windows by default ignores the DNS alias (CName) unless you enable a registry key. Read the link if you're interested.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...roduct=win2000

Thanks
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
    X