Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• add additional DC

Hi,

I've win2k3 DC and i want to add one more that will hold the GC as well.
    my question is about the configuration of the wanna be DC server.
    do i need to install the dns server on the wanna be DC?
    and when i do the dcpromo on the wanna be DC, where the preferred dns on the tcp/ip should point - the wanna be DC or the existing DC dns ip?
    and after that i install the DC and set him the GC as well, should i change the preferred dns to point the new DC?

this article http://www.petri.com/how_to_install_...ndows_2003.htm
    show that the proffered dns point the wanna be DC...
    Last edited by avipenina; 30th August 2007, 21:24.

Re: add additional DC

Hi,
    Originally posted by avipenina View Post
    this article http://www.petri.com/how_to_install_...ndows_2003.htm
    show that the proffered dns point the wanna be DC...
    I'm not sure I see where.
    5. Assign this server a static IP address, subnet mask, and gateway address (optional). Enter the DNS server's IP address in the Preferred DNS server box.
    Unless you mean:
    10. Check "Register this connection's addresses in DNS". If this Windows 2000-based DNS server is on an intranet, it should only point to its own IP address for DNS; do not enter IP addresses for other DNS servers here. If this server needs to resolve names on the Internet, it should have a forwarder configured.
    Is the server on an Intranet? In a DMZ? What is the server going to be doing? Your answers here may change things. :/

Assuming you just want a DC with a GC installed for internal users:
    do i need to install the dns server on the wanna be DC?
    Nope If you only have one DNS server then making a second is a good idea though.

and when i do the dcpromo on the wanna be DC, where the preferred dns on the tcp/ip should point - the wanna be DC or the existing DC dns ip?
    This depends, if the "wanna be DC" is a DNS server then point this at the wanna be DNS server. If the "wanna be DC" server is not a DNS server then point it to the current DNS servers for DNS

and after that i install the DC and set him the GC as well, should i change the preferred dns to point the new DC?
    Nope, DNS and GC are two seperate things. Your preferred DNS is dependant on if the "wanna be DC" is a DNS server itself and its location on your network.
    I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
    Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Thx for ur answer.
      the situation is like this.
      i've Win2k3 that act as a DC and GC as well.
      i want to add another replica of this DC that will hold the DC,GC, and dns as well(all in my LAN).
      my question is:
      what are the steps that i need to do on the wanna be DC from the DNS server side on the wanna be DC?
      for the dcpromo step on the wanna be DC i set the preferred dns to point the existing DC.
      after the dcpromo complete and i restart the wanna be DC i mark him to hold the GC.
      after that do i change the preferred dns to point the wanna be DC?

Comment

I think I follow.

It doesn't matter if you install DNS before or after you dcpromo. You just have to be able to resolve DNS queries when you dcpromo.
        GC has nothing to do with DNS. If you have your DC as a GC matters not in the least to DNS.

Build and install AD on your new Windows Server 2003. (Use an established DNS server as the Primary DNS server.)
        Install the DNS.
        Change the NICs properties so that it looks to itself for DNS (set the primary DNS to itself). This is really a best practice and not the end of the world if you don't do.
        I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
        Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Working...
        X