Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Initial Server Setup (Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial Server Setup (Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition)

Hello everyone, and I apologize in advance for asking what might be a reduntant question. I've read so many forums and "how-to" guides that I'm about spent. I've been teaching myself all of this, so I want to make sure I don't make any more mistakes than I need to.

I plan on building a dedicated server to use in my home, both for file storage AND multiple website hosting.

Here is what my expected setup will be:
    • Windows Server 2003 Standard R2
    • Static IP address (approx 7 mpbs)
    • 1 GB ram (minimum)
    • Pentium-based processor, 1.8 ghz

Here are my beginning questions
    1. Is the following setup appropriate (using dual NIC cards)?
      incoming broadband -> incoming NIC card -> outgoing NIC card -> NetGear Router -> other PCs in home
    2. Would running multiple, unrelated domain names (www.site1.com, www.site2.com) be realistic using the single IP address?

If someone could direct me to where the answers are, (or just tell me I'm way off base), I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance from a newbie.
    They keep getting younger, don't they baby...

Compaq Presario PC: Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard / Intel Celeron 2.6 ghz / 1 gb RAM
    HP m7470n Media Center PC: Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005 / AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.19 ghz / 2 gb RAM
    Toshiba Satellite M35 Special Edition: Windows XP Pro SP2 / Intel Pentium M 1.70 ghz / 1 gb RAM
    Gateway FMC-901 Media Center PC Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005 / Intel Pentium 4 3.0 ghz / 512 mb RAM

Re: Initial Server Setup (Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition)

Alot depends on how busy the server will be in terms of traffic, web applications, etc. I might bump up the RAM to 2GB to start with (you can always add more later) and see if you can get a faster processor or get a dual-core processor. As far as hosting multiple web sites on one ip address that is no problem. You will most likely want to use host headers for each web site as I find that is the easiest method.

Comment

Much about it all is "it depends".
      Will there many scripts? How complex will they be? How large will the files you are serving be? How many files? How aften will they be accessed or changed? Will users be saving data to the server and so on. Expected traffic?
      Performance monitoring is what will be needed to determine how it is all going for you.

As for the physical network setup, do "other PCs in home" need Internet access?
      If so you may need to install RRAS on the server or move the router or depending on your broadband device work something with your broadband device.
      I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
      Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Thanks guys. In reading (more) forums and other documentation, I came across the host headers setup. That seems simple enough.

As for the server itself, I plan on getting the most robust system I can. The specs I gave above I know will be available, so I wanted to use it as a baseline.

As for the sites themselves, they won't be anything of great size. Just basic HTML / CSS stuff. One's for a friend to rant about things he doesn't like and give music reviews, and another is for skateboarding stuff. Again, nothing of great size.

As for the the "other PCs", there is my personal home desktop (which I use for my music collection and video editing), and both my and my wife's laptop. The home desktop is currely using a wired LAN connection, and the laptops are both wireless. I wanted to use the router for the wireless capability, however, if there is a cleaner way to have wireless access for the house, I'm all ears.
        They keep getting younger, don't they baby...

Compaq Presario PC: Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard / Intel Celeron 2.6 ghz / 1 gb RAM
        HP m7470n Media Center PC: Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005 / AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.19 ghz / 2 gb RAM
        Toshiba Satellite M35 Special Edition: Windows XP Pro SP2 / Intel Pentium M 1.70 ghz / 1 gb RAM
        Gateway FMC-901 Media Center PC Windows XP Pro Media Center 2005 / Intel Pentium 4 3.0 ghz / 512 mb RAM

Comment

If you are looking for free Forum/Bulletin Borad software, I can recommend http://www.mybboard.net/ . Easy to setup, easy to update, highly configurable. Took me about 5 minutes to install and another 10 minutes to get a basic Forum up and running (and 30 seconds to 2 minutes to apply the updates). Had never used the software before.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X