DHCP Server fails to start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP Server fails to start

I have a DHCP server running on Win 2003 Domain Controller, which all of a sudden it's unable to start. This is the 2nd time this happened to me, and I don't know why. I had to reinstall the OS last time to fix it.

The service can't start. In the event viewer, I have the following errors:

Error 1004
    ===========
    The DHCP service failed to initialize the database. The following error occurred:
    %%65535
    ===========

Error 1014
    ===========
    The following problem occurred with the Jet database -1811: Jet database read or write operations failed. If the computer or database has just been upgraded, then this message can be safely ignored. If this message appears frequently, either there is not enough disk space to complete the operation or the database or backup database may be corrupt. To correct this problem, either free additional space on your hard disk or restore the database. After you restore the database, ensure that conflict detection is enabled in DHCP server properties. For information about restoring the database, see Help and Support Center. Additional Debug Information: JetRestore.
    ===========

Error 1018
    ===========
    The DHCP service failed to restore the database. The following error occurred:
    An error occurred while accessing the DHCP database. Look at the
    DHCP server event log for more information on this error.
    ===========

Error 1008
    ===========
    The DHCP service is shutting down due to the following error:
    The service has returned a service-specific error code.
    ===========

Error 7024
    ===========
    The DHCP Server service terminated with service-specific error 20013 (0x4E2D).
    ===========

This errors are consistent each time I try and start the DHCP server service. I am able to go into the DHCP console but I get an error stating that the DHCP server can't be found.

I've reinstalled DHCP several times but it didn't work.
    I also tried uninstalling DHCP, deleting the C:\Windows\system32\dhcp folder, and also removing it from the registry in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCP. I then rebooted and reinstalled DHCP again, but the same thing keeps happening.

I really don't want to have to image this again.

Any suggestions??

It sounds like you have a corrupt DHCP database.
    A possible solution could be to unauthorize the DHCP server, stop the service, and then restart the service.
    Also, make sure that yout AV service does not scan the DHCP folder and subdirectories.

Another solution could be to disable content indexing on the DHCP folder

Comment

I don't see how restarting the service would help considering I reinstalled it, but I did try it and it still didnt' work.

Thanks for the suggestion anyways though.

Comment

looks like de db is corrupt.
        im not sure if the db is removed when you uninstall dhcp.

try repairing it
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

to repair the DHCP database after it comes corrupted:
          1. stop the DHCP service
          2. Backup the DHCP dir
          3. go to the DHCP dir (command prompt)
          4. run jetpack dhcp.mdb temp
          5. Start the DHCP service

Comment

I have this same exact problem. I followed in the post and still have the problem. Uninstalled dhcp server, reinstalled dhcp server, still same issue.

I believe it started after I installed the SBS and windows 2003 service pack or the visual studio/sql 2005 beta.

Any ideas?

Comment

See also:
              http://forums.petri.com/viewtopic.php?t=4407
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

thanks for reply,

But as you can see from the previous posts this has already been done and it does not help. Trying the restore or jetpack is an easy solution but does not work or pertaqin to this issues

Comment

Re: DHCP Server fails to start

try to check the JET version of the DHCP server installation default. Might be cause by the visual studio / sql 2005 updates that causes difference in the JET version.

Comment

Working...
                  X