Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ACPI Uniprocessor to ACPI Multiprocessor causes boot loop, please help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACPI Uniprocessor to ACPI Multiprocessor causes boot loop, please help?

I have two machines with similar specs, both running Win2k3 32-bit. The only difference is that one had an AMD64 3500+ and the other had a 3200+. I recently upgraded the CPUs on both to AMD64 x2 3800+ (dual cores). On one machine, the upgrade went fine. Task manager sees both cores and all is working fine. On the other machine, the proessor upgrade caused a boot loop. What I mean is that the Windows 2003 boot screen comes up and the scanner goes from left to right about 3-4 times, then the machine reboots. I left it for an hour and it just kept rebooting.

In troubleshooting, it does the reboot too fast to to write a boot log. However, I was able to isolate the problem. I can enter safe mode with no issues at all. In safe mode, if I change the Computer type from ACPI Multiprocessor PC to ACPI uniprocessor PC then it boots fine. The drivers for the processors are loaded correctly and show no trouble in device manager and the machine works fine. However, the OS only sees and uses 1 core. If I change it back to ACPI multiprocessor (which is an avalible driver), then it goes into boot loop again.

I have tested each compnent in other machines (as well as run memtest, CPUz, Prime95, etc) and all hardware is fine. I have also tried reinstalling the OS, as a test, and it worked fine. However, I do not want to do that. These machines are currently setup correctly. Both are AD and I do alot of testing on them. Reinstalling would be a real pain and require alot of man hours. Does anyone have any ideas I can try to somehow get my current Win2k3 install to do the ACPI change? I would appreciate any help or ideas. From everything I have read, this should not be an issue. Thank you!

Re: ACPI Uniprocessor to ACPI Multiprocessor causes boot loop, please help?

Have you tried a BIOS flash on the troubled machine?
    Did you upgrade the O/S to the 64bit version or is it still running the 32bit version?
    Have you tried choosing a different multiprocessor driver?
    Last edited by biggles77; 28th August 2007, 15:21.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: ACPI Uniprocessor to ACPI Multiprocessor causes boot loop, please help?

The problem is with which one?
      What happens if you try the 3500+ in the old 3200+ machine? Or vice versa if the crashing is the otherway around.
      The one machine works fine with one of the new processors and not other new processor?
      The other machine works fine with both new processors?
      I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
      Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Working...
      X