Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem to create new scope.

Hi.
    I'm triying to configure a DHCP in my vimware as a practice.
    I have server 2K3 and one XP Pro client on a single subnet.
    The server has manually IP address of 192.168.164.129/24
    I configured a new single scope in the DHCP on the server.
    When I'm triyng to assign the IP address rane of 192.168.164.x -192.168.164.y,
    I get this error :"the specified range either overlaps an exising range or is not valid" ,Also when the start range is greater then the server IP.
    When I'm tryng to assign a range of 10.10.0.5-10.10.0.8 for example, the scope was assigned o.k and become active but the station doesn't get address but APIPA 169.254.x.y

remarks:
    DHCP was authorized.
    No reservation configured.
    Only single scope was configured
    Client Nic with automatic IP configuration.
    Server and station can Ping each other when station ip configured manually -192.168.164.130/24

Thanks for any help
    Attached Files

Re: Problem to create new scope.

O.k It was solved.
    I reconfigured the scope but this time with aditional settings like exclude IP with the server ip , parent domain name and server name ,dns and wins .
    Seems thet one of them is vital.

Comment

Cool, I'm glad you solved the problem.
      Two things I would like to add, nevertheless.
      - whenever you define a scope you have to be certain you exclude all the addresses that were manually defined (like servers, printers and so on). Otherwise, you will get error messages like the one here;
      - see this link from Microsoft's TechNet. It covers all the DHCP issues. Just in case you will need further assistance with DHCP.

Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Hi
        Thanks a lot for the information .

While I was trying to find the exact vital setting that caused the problem,
        I insisted and reconfigured again the DHCP with only the basic setting as at first time and now it got successfully with the same IP range .I'm a little bit confused now,but it's computers we're dealing or not ? they have some times there own decisions.

Comment

Well, it is largely known that computers do have their aspirations and decisions sometimes
          Things like that can happen... Best thing to do in such cases is to erase everything and start again from scratch. And never give up

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Working...
          X