Desktop Wallpaper via AD GP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desktop Wallpaper via AD GP

I configured desktop for around 1000 users and its working great. Only one problem though.
    some of the users gets default home page of IE as their desktop and not the wallpaper configured on AD, is it something else I have to configure?

Re: Desktop Wallpaper via AD GP

you mean iE only displays the users "Desktop" or you mean the desktop is displaying active content from the web? if so, make sure the user doesnt have the check box on in the web screen of "customize desktop" or that will happen...

and if i dint uderstand you right, then go ahead and check the following...

verify that the client stations have properly completed a gpudate. go to a client computer in question and type:
    Code:
    gpupdate/force
    this will force an update...

where did you apply the policy on the domain model?
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Where do I find that option (check box on in the web screen of "customize desktop)?
      Is this something I can take care of at GPO rather than going to each users PC.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

right-click on the desktop and select 'properties'

select the tab titled "Desktop" and at the bottom click on the button with the words "Customize Desktop"

Now, select the tab titled 'Web'...

you can probably handle it from here. there is a description and a list box that contains the web page. the default is to display your home page...

better?

***EDIT***
        i forgot the other half..

yes, you can prohibit this behavior via GPO... User Config> Admin Temp> Desktop > Active Desktop > CONFIGURE: "Allow Only Bitmapped Wallpaper" "Prevent changing wallpaper" and "Active Desktop Wallpaper" for the best effect. this prevents anyone from changing anything...
        Last edited by James Haynes; 22nd August 2007, 20:50.

Comment

Thanks for the reply James.

I do not see tab titled 'Web', it is gone because of the setting from GP.

I have already configured GP settings "Prevent changing wallpaper" and "Active Desktop Wallpaper".
          I have not configured "Allow Only Bitmapped Wallpaper" because my wallpaper is JPEG.

users still have IE homepage as wallpaper.

Comment

This is hapenning on all windows 2000 pc's. any help please?

Comment

Hi James,
              any help please?

Comment

I do not see tab titled 'Web', it is gone because of the setting from GP.
                well, according to the explaination of the policy for the removal of the web feature:
                Prevents the user from enabling or disabling Active Desktop or changing the Active Desktop configuration.

This is a comprehensive setting that locks down the configuration you establish by using other policies in this folder. This setting removes the Web tab from Display in Control Panel. As a result, users cannot enable or disable Active Desktop. If Active Desktop is already enabled, users cannot add, remove, or edit Web content or disable, lock, or synchronize Active Desktop components.
                so if it was configured prior to the GP, then the policy will have to be removed to make those changes...

did you verify that the computers are processing the GPO properly?

unfortunately, (for you, that is) i dont have any 2000 workstations available or i would try to duplicate the results. the forst thing i did when i became admin was to remove all the NT and 2000 boxes off the net. i have application restrictions that prevent me from wanting anything less than XPSP2...

i would isolate a 2000 workstation and try to configure the policy for just that computer in a special testing OU. once the policy works, then apply it to the rest...

sorry i dont have anymore input than that. good luck!

Comment

Working...
                X